• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing namesakes

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard Dawson - offie who Steve Waugh hit for 4 off the last ball of the day to score a century or that cheeky Corporal Peter Newkirk.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Paul Parker, great fielder. mediocre batsmen for Sussex, or short-arse defender for Manyoo.

Mark Lawson, promising Tyke leggie or bumptous potato-head writer and presenter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Paul Parker short-arse defender for Manyoo.
Short-aess maybe, but damn good and (in the pre-Neville world) something of a club hero.

A legend which was only added to when he came on as a substitute for Neville Jnr in 1995\96 against Reading and scored one of the most sensational goals ever by a right-back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll be honest, I've thought many times that he was aiming for a cross, but, well... Nicky Hammond sure as thought he was crossing it, and it even looked like it was a cross at one point, then the ball swung.

And apart from Cantona's incredible one against Arsenal the same season, I saw no better strike from someone in a Man U shirt between '94 and '98. Better goals resulting from build-up, yes, but none better purely for the strike.

PY

International Coach
Mark Hughes vs Sheff Wed in '94 was a thunderbolt. Beckham against Wimbledon in '96 was also OK and quite famous. ;)

Cantona again against Wimbledon, during '93 was OK too. On the chest and volleyed past the keeper.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Beckham against Wimbledon was a bit special, but didn't have the romanticism of either Cantona or Parker.

Hughes vs Sheff Wed in 1994\95 or 1993\94? If 1993\94 falls outside my scope... and don't know whether I remember the goals from our games vs Sheff Wed in 1994\95 either.

A Cantona goal in 1995\96 also features my favourite piece of commentary on a Man U goal, too...

"Hit the heels of Williams... ... ... ... ... ... ... Cantona! Yes!"

Craig

World Traveller
Peter Young - global moderator or mouthpiece of Cricket Australia...:p
Could also be a politican on the Gold Coast who is opposing the construction of a building promoting questionable practices 201m from a Church... :ph34r: :mellow:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitchell Johnson - Either one of Australia's up-and-coming fast bowlers or one half of the culprits of the Jonesboro school massacre.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ian Botham, either a hugely popular English cricketer or a hugely unpopular Cricket commentator

or

Bob Willis, menacing fast bowler, with a slightly odd run-up, also, a boring, lifeless drone who gets all the Sky Sports stuff that noone watches