• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disgruntled Dizzy

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21056641-23212,00.html

"EXILED paceman Jason Gillespie has hit out at claims he is a spent force, saying national selectors cannot use his age as a reason to overlook him for Test selection.

With his international career on the ropes after missing Australia's preliminary 30-man World Cup squad last week, Gillespie opened up about his frustration at being perceived to be on the wane as a frontline bowler.

"There's this perception that I'm too old and it's crap," said Gillespie, who played his most recent Test against Bangladesh last April, when he took 3-25 and scored an incredible 201 not out...

..."The selectors talk about bringing youth into the side and then I look at the Twenty20 game (against England last Tuesday) and they pick Shane Harwood, who is a year older than me.

"It annoys me. Maybe I need to be dying my hair and not letting all the greys come through because the perception is I'm older than I really am. Age can't be a factor."

So - is Dizzy past it or should the selectors be giving him another look?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think you could pick him ahead of Mitchell Johnson, but he looks to have regained abit of form and i would probably have him next in line for the test side after him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Gillespie is too old Stuart Clark must immidiately be dropped as he is the same age.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was left out because he wasn't good enough, not because he wasn't young enough.
Yet the reasons most have given for his non-recall have centred around his age not his ability...

Most serious analysts have realised that it was unlikely for someone as good as Gillespie bowling as utterly dreadfully as he did in 2005 to be anything other than a short-term aberration, and his domestic form since then appears to bear this out.

Because had he been bowling as terribly as he did in 2005 in the last 2 seasons he'd probably not be playing any more.

FRAZ

International Captain
Age is a matter of concern untill unless you are Lara and one of the only decent choices in the middle order .
Gillespie is easily replaceable (atleast in Australia)
so Gillespie Sthu (Pasag mode)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have had him in the Australia "A" side with Tait and Hilfenhaus. Definitely deserved to be in the World Cup squad of 30.

Craig

World Traveller
He might have a case about the Twenty20 but he is too far down the pecking order now with Johnson, Tait and Hilfenhaus.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The concerns about his age are obviously silly, as he's barely older than Brett Lee, who is at his peak, more or less. However, his performances really haven't been good enough. He's behind Johnson, Tait and Hilfenhaus based on performance alone, and all of them are 7 or more years younger than him.

Josh

International Regular
Gillespie is probably about the 11th choice bowler at this point. Just struggling for form on the international stage when he was dropped; and you probably can't pick him on his form against Bangladesh, the second-bottom test nation.

Sorry to say, Dizzy. It's stumps for you.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dizzy's body isn't that of a 31 year old IMO, just like Sachin's isn't that of a 33 year old.

Gillespie's been hampered with injuries throughout his career (perhaps preventing him from being a possible great) so I think his age is a bit deceptive.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As much as I love Dizzy - the Mullet, the 201 not out, the fashion show in India - I just can't see him getting back into a baggy green (or baseball cap style green for the ODI) unless the young kiddies taking over (Johnson, Hilfenhaus etc) have a melt down next season.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His career is over afaic.

Not only is he being out performed by Johnson, Hilfenhaus & arguably Tait, but his body is not 1 of a 31 y/o due to his constant run of injuries through-out his career.

brockley

International Captain
Its not the last ashes that has seen gillespie's demise but his serious lack of pace,you couldn't call him a quick bowler anymore.