• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disgruntled Dizzy

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The concerns about his age are obviously silly, as he's barely older than Brett Lee, who is at his peak, more or less. However, his performances really haven't been good enough. He's behind Johnson, Tait and Hilfenhaus based on performance alone, and all of them are 7 or more years younger than him.
Pretty sure he`s gunning it in FC this season. But his body wouldn`t cope with it IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure he`s gunning it in FC this season. But his body wouldn`t cope with it IMO.
Yeah he had a decent season for SA last year too, but he's not making a case ahead of any of those three, even leaving age aside. Throw in the fact that they're all mid 20s and he'd need to be bowling brilliantly.

He should be ahead of Harwood, mind. Would have been nice if he'd gotten the callup for the 20/20 game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The concerns about his age are obviously silly, as he's barely older than Brett Lee, who is at his peak, more or less. However, his performances really haven't been good enough. He's behind Johnson, Tait and Hilfenhaus based on performance alone, and all of them are 7 or more years younger than him.
His averaging 22 or whatever it is over the past 2 seasons is not good enough (you yourself said that Aussie selectors usually ignore English Championship happenings).

I'm not disagreeing that he's behind said seamers, but to suggest they've outperformed him is nonsense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dizzy's body isn't that of a 31 year old IMO, just like Sachin's isn't that of a 33 year old.

Gillespie's been hampered with injuries throughout his career (perhaps preventing him from being a possible great) so I think his age is a bit deceptive.
Not as deceptive as Waqar Younis'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As much as I love Dizzy - the Mullet, the 201 not out, the fashion show in India - I just can't see him getting back into a baggy green (or baseball cap style green for the ODI) unless the young kiddies taking over (Johnson, Hilfenhaus etc) have a melt down next season.
And that's impossible?

India have exposed Australia's second-strong once before, who's to say they can't do it again?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind him not being apart of the ODI plans since i reckon his future is more in the test side. But i don't think he should be ruled out nor do i think the selectors have honestly ruled him out of their future test plans for next season, because even though the likes of Johnson, Tait & Hilfenhaus have all been very impressive domestically and on the international stage over the past 2 years or so, they could stumble intially & if Dizzy is still bowling well he'd be a very good option to fall back on.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
He's got some damn impressive numbers in his last two seasons of Pura Cup. Last year he took 40 wickets @ around 20, and he's on target to do likewise this Summer. However, in my view, the selectors are looking for the 'nip' (that extra 5kms of pace) to return to his bowling. That was what was lacking in Ashes 2005, and regardless of his numbers, he won't break back into International cricket on a consistent basis until the selectors think that the 'nip' has returned.

And, when you're on the wrong side of 30, the 'nip' rarely returns. Having said all that, Dizzy's best chance of a recall is next Summer against India - if the Aussie pacemen fare as poorly as they did last time India were out here against an Australian side sans Warne and McGrath, then they must just look for a steady, experienced hand on the tiller.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
His averaging 22 or whatever it is over the past 2 seasons is not good enough (you yourself said that Aussie selectors usually ignore English Championship happenings).

I'm not disagreeing that he's behind said seamers, but to suggest they've outperformed him is nonsense.
It's not so much that Australian selectors ignore county records totally, more that they don't usually make selection decisions based on them if a player isn't also performing in Australia. If Gillespie had averaged 20 for Yorkshire last season there's a fair chance he'd have played in the Ashes, but they couldn't have picked him when he was in such poor form and Clark, Johnson and Tait weren't.

Incidentally, the only one of those bowlers Gillespie's really outperformed in the Pura Cup this year would be Johnson, and that's mainly because he's played more matches. The others are more or less equal, with Tait and Hilfenhaus ahead in the wickets (and in OD performances, since we're talking about a 20/20 selection here), and with Gillespie only having the one particularly good game to his name. There's no doubt Gillespie is one of the better bowlers around in Australian domestic cricket, but he's not bowling better than a number of players who are younger than him with more scope to improve, so he's not going to be get picked. If he was bowling better than them, he'd have a point about his age being an unfair restriction.