• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Moeen Ali potential England material ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I heard from an English mate he is one of the best young batsmen in England....what do other on this forum think about him ?
Of Course he captained Engalnd u-19 for quitre a while.....

But I do belive he is from the famous Ali family that has given cricketers such as Kabir and Kadeer (er sorry Chris "Kadder") ??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Worcestershire have better resources than Warwickshire do they?

As for the opportunities, he was basically being told he'd have a 1st team spot at Warwickshire in 2007 - what more opportunities can someone want?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Haven't seen enough of him to comment. The current and most recent crop of under-19 players didn't seem the most talented though - they got thumped at home by India's reserves, got slaughtered in Bangladesh and were poor in the World Cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He was one of the better U19s - skippered them - but never set the world alight. He is likely to have a future as a journeyman county pro as he can bowl a bit and field well, but that's not enough for... wait, what am I saying. Yes.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Could soon be mentioned if he plays and is consistent for his new county Worcestershire.Certainly has talent but you never know with these talented young players where there going to go.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Worcestershire have better resources than Warwickshire do they?

As for the opportunities, he was basically being told he'd have a 1st team spot at Warwickshire in 2007 - what more opportunities can someone want?
Maybe he realises that Worcs are going somewhere and Warks arent? :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was one of the better U19s - skippered them - but never set the world alight. He is likely to have a future as a journeyman county pro as he can bowl a bit and field well, but that's not enough for... wait, what am I saying. Yes.
Remembering that you said a similar thing to me about Liam Plunkett a couple of years ago doesn't fill me with confidence...

adharcric

International Coach
He seemed like the only decent cricketer in the U-19 squad apart from Adil Rashid when they hosted the India U-19s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Graeme Bridge and Michael Gough seemed something similar in 1999... both lost their Durham contracts 2 and 3 years ago. The likes of Foster, Dawson, Bell, Carberry, Harrison, Hunter, Logan and even (somehow) Napier are still going strong. Same would be true of Bulbeck but for injury.

U19 cricket can be a useful pointer (AB de Villiers first came to my attention there in 2003) but it's not always a great thing to put too much money on.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just searched for a Moeen thread, thought this one would do as good as any.

Only saw a few balls today from this whole Test; has he changed his action a lot since the UAE series? Looked a lot more like the Pakistani spinners in technique (Saqlain, Shoaib Malik, Hafeez).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just searched for a Moeen thread, thought this one would do as good as any.

Only saw a few balls today from this whole Test; has he changed his action a lot since the UAE series? Looked a lot more like the Pakistani spinners in technique (Saqlain, Shoaib Malik, Hafeez).
Pretty sure I know what you're implying . . .

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pretty sure I know what you're implying . . .
Nah, I'm seriously not implying anything about chucking.

Just in terms of his rhythm into the crease, I always thought he reminded me more of Harbhajan, in that he'd attack the crease in a reasonably front on position. Here, he was really exacerbating having his left shoulder pointed at the batsman even before his bowling stride.