Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: What type of spinner is Murali?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fingerspin

12 21.43%
  • Wristspin

44 78.57%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muralitharan - Finger or Wrist Spinner?

Muralitharan - Finger or Wrist Spinner?

Hello everybody

I have seen this debated a few times lately on CC. It does interest me, and I will admit to having no outright opinion on the matter.

On the one hand there is the argument that if you bowl offbreaks, and you are right-handed, then you are a fingerspinner, simple as.

And on the other hand, there is the argument that Muralitharan blatantly imparts spin with his wrist.

I would be interested in hearing people's views on this one - is there honestly a correct answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    It's quite obvious he uses his wrists. Why is this even a question?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Elbow

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    On the one hand there is the argument that if you bowl offbreaks, and you are right-handed, then you are a fingerspinner, simple as.
    No, as obvious as it sounds, you are a finger spinner if you use your fingers.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Depends how you define the terms obviously, but my understanding has always been that they are merely a way of describing the style of bowling. Obviously Murali relies more on using his wrist than, say, Harbhajan, but they both spin it in the same direction. And of course, all spinners use both their wrist and their fingers to spin the ball.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Depends how you define the terms obviously, but my understanding has always been that they are merely a way of describing the style of bowling. Obviously Murali relies more on using his wrist than, say, Harbhajan, but they both spin it in the same direction. And of course, all spinners use both their wrist and their fingers to spin the ball.
    Thats true, but for wrist spin, even though your pinky is used, the primary mode of imparting spin is the wrist.

It doesn't matter which way you turn it, even though he's the first person that I know of to turn it the other way with the wrist.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    His a wrist spinner, i think you'll find that there is a lot off spinners coming through that are wrist spinners. One reason is the increase amount of spin you get, as well as increase amount of bounce. But the main reason is that i think its pretty much impossible to bowl (well throw) a doosra without having a wrist spining action and grip. Also bowling off spin with a wrist spinner grip and action allows you to bowl with more variety.

Personally i did try to bowl off breaks with a wrist spinners action, but i stuffed up my shoulder and i couldn't get any consistency. But i did get a lot more turn and bounce and i could land a doosra, but i blantly threw it.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It's quite obvious he uses his wrists. Why is this even a question?
    Just because you think it's set in stone doesn't mean it is. There are many people who think otherwise, so I thought it would be a valid question. No need to be so obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Just because you think it's set in stone doesn't mean it is. There are many people who think otherwise, so I thought it would be a valid question. No need to be so obnoxious.
    Not trying to be obnoxious mate, just saying I thought it was fairly obvious by just watching him that his wrist is the primary tool.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    The main difference between wrist spin and finger spin is the grip of the ball and your action. Murali pretty much has the same grip and action as leg spinner, but with his wrist turning in the other direction.

Thats true, but for wrist spin, even though your pinky is used, the primary mode of imparting spin is the wrist.
    The primary method of imparting spin is always the wrist, really. Try and bowl an off-break without moving your wrist. It doesn't work at all. And of course, you couldn't spin the ball without using your fingers either. I don't really see the relevance of the discussion.

Obviously Murali uses his wrist in a manner that is closer to the way leg-spin is usually bowled, but he still bowls off-spin.

One could probably invent an entirely new categorisation for it, and if anyone else manages to do it without throwing the ball I imagine there will be one. Over the wrist off-spin or something. But realistically I think it's virtually impossible to bowl like that without throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    The primary method of imparting spin is always the wrist, really. Try and bowl an off-break without moving your wrist. It doesn't work at all. And of course, you couldn't spin the ball without using your fingers either. I don't really see the relevance of the discussion.

Obviously Murali uses his wrist in a manner that is closer to the way leg-spin is usually bowled, but he still bowls off-spin.

One could probably invent an entirely new categorisation for it, and if anyone else manages to do it without throwing the ball I imagine there will be one. Over the wrist off-spin or something. But realistically I think it's virtually impossible to bowl like that without throwing.
    Leaving aside the question of whether he throws it in a game situation or not, he was able to bowl all his deliveries at the University of Western Australia while wearing a brace.

Not trying to be obnoxious mate, just saying I thought it was fairly obvious by just watching him that his wrist is the primary tool.
    Alright, no worries.

Question though - does his wrist being the primary tool necessairly make it wristspin? Fuller might be onto something with regards to re-categorising the type of spin Murali bowls.

Leaving aside the question of whether he throws it in a game situation or not, he was able to bowl all his deliveries at the University of Western Australia while wearing a brace.
    I'm not referring to Murali. He obviously has unique physical traits. I'm referring to other bowlers who attempt to emulate him.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information