• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan - Finger or Wrist Spinner?

What type of spinner is Murali?

• Total voters

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Huh? The bowler doesn't bowl to himself.

If you're familiar with the game you do, but I though the point of classification of bowlers was to try and make it obvious to those not familiar?
Right-handed bowler: Offspin; legspin
Left-handed bowler: orthodox; chinaman

Simple as.

I think the point of classifying the bowlers is so everyone knows what they bowl. I don't think they were too concerned with newcomers to the game. Otherwise LBW would be called "out because the batsman stopped a ball that pitched in line with the stumps, or pitched outside off while the batsman didn't try to hit it, and the man in the white hand standing behind the stumps at the end where the batsman who didn't hit the ball was standing thought it would go on to hit the stumps. He had to leave and go back and sit with his teammates (the people who are also on his team)."

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right-handed bowler: Offspin; legspin
Left-handed bowler: orthodox; chinaman

Simple as.
I know what terms are used - the point is it'd be better if these weren't used. Even if all that was used instead was "right-arm spin" and "left-arm spin".
I think the point of classifying the bowlers is so everyone knows what they bowl. I don't think they were too concerned with newcomers to the game. Otherwise LBW would be called "out because the batsman stopped a ball that pitched in line with the stumps, or pitched outside off while the batsman didn't try to hit it, and the man in the white hand standing behind the stumps at the end where the batsman who didn't hit the ball was standing thought it would go on to hit the stumps. He had to leave and go back and sit with his teammates (the people who are also on his team)."
Everyone doesn't know what they bowl via their classifications, they know it by watching them. And yes, the "lbw" term isn't ideal for newcomers at all, but as you rather allude to, it'd be a bitch to change.