• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan - Finger or Wrist Spinner?

What type of spinner is Murali?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
People really need to teach me on how I can spin the ball with my elbow. It would be a very nice trick.

Apparently, several people on the board have figured it out but I can't get it to work.

JBH001

International Regular
Best not go there SS - it would simply derail the thread.

No need to reply to Laurrz and Social, when nothing anyone can say or show or prove would convince them of anything worthwhile regarding this topic...

A complete waste of time, imo.

(Besides it really has nothing to do with the thread)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
People really need to teach me on how I can spin the ball with my elbow. It would be a very nice trick.

Apparently, several people on the board have figured it out but I can't get it to work.
Pfft you can't? I can even spin it with my ..... :ph34r:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really understand this comment. Are you saying his elbow could bend even though they created a brace that forced it to not bend?

I am not commenting on whether he throws in a game situation. My comment was on the inability to bowl such deliveries without throwing. That statement is blatantly false as he has proven the ability to bowl them in a lab without throwing, regardless of whether he does that in a game or not.
I was being facetious - there are braces and there are braces

BTW, he's never proven that he can bowl without throwing (and nor has anyone else for that matter), he's proven that he can bowl within the tolerance limits under controlled conditions.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I was being facetious - there are braces and there are braces

BTW, he's never proven that he can bowl without throwing (and nor has anyone else for that matter), he's proven that he can bowl within the tolerance limits under controlled conditions.
Eh? Throwing = not bowling under tolerance limits. So basically he has proven to be able to not throw his deliveries under proper conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shane Warne doesn't become an 'offspinner' when he bowls his wrong-un. You're classified by what you are...not what the batsman is.
Exactly, and that's why Warne is a wristspinner, not a legspinner - the fact that you're classified by what you are and not what the batsman is only emphasises what stupid terms "offspinner" and "legspinner" are.

Warne's stock-ball, however, does change according to what the batsman is. What is to a right-hander a Leg-Break is an Off-Break to a left-hander.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly right, a 'wristspinner' traditionally is an 'over the wrist spinner' i.e someone who bowls legspin, be they left or right-handed.
No, wristspinner is someone who spins the ball principally with the wrist, whether it's over, under, alongside, around, across, behind...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Explain why the "off-spinner"/"leg-spinner" terminology is so disgraceful. Everyone who plays cricket is intelligent enough to know that if you turn it away from the right-hander, you'll naturally turn it into the left-hander (usually). The terminology is based on the convention of a right-handed batsman at the crease, isn't it? What's the big deal?
The stupidity of basing terminology on something that's far from universal (and becoming ever less so with more and more people making the conscious decision to bat left-handed).

Why bother with it when you can use "wristspinner" and "fingerspinner" which are so much more descriptive?

adharcric

International Coach
The stupidity of basing terminology on something that's far from universal (and becoming ever less so with more and more people making the conscious decision to bat left-handed).

Why bother with it when you can use "wristspinner" and "fingerspinner" which are so much more descriptive?
Descriptive? The obvious example of why they aren't descriptive is Murali, who is a wristspinner but turns it in the opposite direction of most other wristspinners. As a batsman, my primary concern is which way you will turn the ball, not whether you use your fingers, wrist, tongue or toes to spin the ball. By the way, left-handed batsmen are not so stupid that they wouldn't realize that an off-spinner is turning the ball away from them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who gives a damn about which direction their description says they turn it? Most bowlers have a wrong-'un of some sort.

I highly doubt the descriptions are required for the players.

Equally, to spectators it's far more important how much the ball turns than what direction.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Richard, are you married? And if so, how many times have you slept on the couch?

Son Of Coco

No, wristspinner is someone who spins the ball principally with the wrist, whether it's over, under, alongside, around, across, behind...
Of course, how silly of me, I forgot how much you knew about the art. My humblest apologies.

Son Of Coco

Richard, are you married? And if so, how many times have you slept on the couch?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Are you talking about the number of times he actually slept on the couch or are we talking the number of times he was lucky to even sleep inside the house, thus bringing his first chance sleeping on the couch average into effect?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
It's quite obvious he uses his wrists. Why is this even a question?
So do all other off break/slow left arm bowlers. Same as all leggies use their fingers. Which is why I think calling someone a finger spinner or a wrist spinner is pretty useless.

Edit: Just read Dickinson's posts. Oh dear.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So do all other off break/slow left arm bowlers. Same as all leggies use their fingers. Which is why I think calling someone a finger spinner or a wrist spinner is pretty useless.
But that is not the question. With the current terminology, Murali would quite clearly be a wrist spinner as his action is quite identical to other wrist spinners (except wrist turns the other way).