• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most disgraceful commentary I have ever heard

sideshowtim

Banned
How can anyone like Mark Nicholas?

He was an idiot today, and him laughing when Pietersen was clearly in pain sums it up for me. An idiot who tries to make everything extravagant and great viewing. Pietersen obviously going down in pain which looked at the outset immediately like a broken rib resulted in Nicholas laughing.

He's horrible.
I had a chuckle myself. Before I realised he was seriously hurt of course. When you see a bloke who treats fast bowlers like crap by walking up to them all the time like that and they miss the ball and get smacked in the process of doing it, it is quite a victory for the bowler and also the supporters.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Usually like Mark Nicholas, didn't see him today but laughing at an injured player is totally out of order imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
sideshowtim said:
Also, I think any praise of Australia and any criticism of England in this particular tour is definitely warranted.
Which is exactly the sort of attitude which has led the crap that went on in the commentary box for that game...

sideshowtim

Banned
Usually like Mark Nicholas, didn't see him today but laughing at an injured player is totally out of order imo.
He laughed as soon as Pietersen got hit. I'm sure he didn't think he was seriously hurt. Commentators laugh all the time when a player gets hit in the nuts....This is really no different. Nicholas wasn't aware that Pietersen was seriously hurt.

At McGraths pace you wouldn't expect anyone to get seriously injured off him.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah I guessed that Nicholas mustn't have thought he was too badly injured, otherwise he wouldn't have laughed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Robin Jackman is perfectly quantifiable as a saving-grace IMO, though I'm not terribly keen on these new-kids-on-the-block Mbangwa, Donald and Cullinan.

The SA team used to be really good when they had Gerald de Kock and Imraan Munshi.
Robin Jackman, saving grace? Are you having a laugh?

The same guy that asked "Would it be fair to say that if SA ended up 100-120 runs short of India's 1st innings total, they'd have more of a chance of victory then if they got a small innings lead?"

Wow, yeah, great commentator. Most biased one of the lot.

Showing the replay of Karthik's dismissal in the 1st innings of the 3rd test, where it was universally accepted he didn't hit the ball.

Robin: Yep just got a bit of an inside edge there.

Needless to say Barry Richards was surprised.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Boycott and Botham were terrible in the 05 Ashes and Pakistani and Indian commentators....don't get me started.
I'd love for you to even name 5 Indian and Pakistani commentators first.

Most of the time, they aren't any good, but they're not as biased as you make them out to be. The general thing is for them to harp on about how the Indian/Pakistani batsman will struggle against the bounce and how whilst their fielding has improved, it still has a long way to do. And they talk up opposition teams, particularly Australia plenty of the time.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How can anyone like Mark Nicholas?

He was an idiot today, and him laughing when Pietersen was clearly in pain sums it up for me. An idiot who tries to make everything extravagant and great viewing. Pietersen obviously going down in pain which looked at the outset immediately like a broken rib resulted in Nicholas laughing.

He's horrible.
Jeys, I'd never have associated him with that. :( Normally seems a really compassionate guy...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At McGraths pace you wouldn't expect anyone to get seriously injured off him.
No, of course, a rock-hard nut like a cricket-ball going at 75-80mph is never going to injure anyone at all... especially in a naturally weak area like the ribcage...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jeys, I'd never have associated him with that. :( Normally seems a really compassionate guy...
I don't think he was actually laughing at the injury - he only laughed during the first second or two, and stopped once he realised it had seriously hurt Pietersen. He laughed at the circumstances in which it happened really... Pietersen charged a fast bowler and finally paid the penalty... it actually was quite funny IMO until I realised he was actually injured.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robin Jackman, saving grace? Are you having a laugh?

The same guy that asked "Would it be fair to say that if SA ended up 100-120 runs short of India's 1st innings total, they'd have more of a chance of victory then if they got a small innings lead?"
That certainly wasn't an unreasonable statement.
Wow, yeah, great commentator. Most biased one of the lot.

Showing the replay of Karthik's dismissal in the 1st innings of the 3rd test, where it was universally accepted he didn't hit the ball.

Robin: Yep just got a bit of an inside edge there.

Needless to say Barry Richards was surprised.
Didn't hear that one. Though I might add that having been dropped earlier Karthik hardly had a complaint about a piece of bad luck later.

I'm a little perplexed at how a Brit could be biased in SAfrican favour, mind...

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
And what happened? India folded anyway and South Africa would have been defensive and not declared early enough to force the result..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think he was actually laughing at the injury - he only laughed during the first second or two, and stopped once he realised it had seriously hurt Pietersen. He laughed at the circumstances in which it happened really... Pietersen charged a fast bowler and finally paid the penalty... it actually was quite funny IMO until I realised he was actually injured.
I quite agree that it's good to see a bowler putting-paid to someone charging them, but, well, I never laugh when a player gets hit - for precisely the reason that you never know how bad an injury can end-up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And what happened? India folded anyway and South Africa would have been defensive and not declared early enough to force the result..
I'm sorry but if you give India a lead of 120, they would not have lost that game. Chasing 280-300 would have been very tough.

Boucher and Pollock's partnership was vital, they got the lead down to only 41. But when the both of them just arrived at the crease India were well on top, and for him to suggest SA were better off getting all out for not many more runs was ridiculous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given how hell-bent SA were on victory in that series I have to wonder whether that would neccessarily have happened.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm a little perplexed at how a Brit could be biased in SAfrican favour, mind...
Yeah because he has no connections to SA at all? :mellow:

Fairly simply tbh, he likes SA cricket, he knows very little about Indian cricket, he's biased towards SA ahead of India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously he has connections to SA and has had for ages but to simply state something which is patently wrong due to the pictures in front of you can't really be described as bias towards one side IMO - it doesn't help SA at all whether he hit it or not - it does, however, help the Umpires who might then get less flak hurled their way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I quite agree that it's good to see a bowler putting-paid to someone charging them, but, well, I never laugh when a player gets hit - for precisely the reason that you never know how bad an injury can end-up.
Well I didn't actually laugh, but I saw the humour and justice in it when it happened. Until I found out he was injured. I assume Nicholas did the same and the incident has been blown way out of proportion here IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nicholas' laugh wasn't because he found it funny, though he probably did, but its his overreaction as to what great cricket it was, as usual. He's just like "what brilliant television..." 8-)

Not everything that happens on the screen when you're commentating and Australia are playing should be recorded, with the tape placed in a glass protection place for us to treasure forever.