• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia under 19's whats the go

brockley

International Captain
Read we picked a australia under 19 side for the tournament,but no sign of any games,whats the story jack.
Read india under 19's visitting NZ and malaysia and not australia.
If so why did they pick an aussie under 19 squad if we are going to play no internationals.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
I believe that the Australian Under 19 team only plays every second year, they played last year and so this year is their year off.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Basically, Cricket Australia are only worried about U/19s when it's a World Cup Year. Same as two years ago, in 2004 when the Championships were in Melbourne, the team is picked purely on whom was the best performed in the carnival, and it's an "honorary side" as such that won't play any games. As opposed to when they pick the squad for the YWC, which is the best team of U/19 players, based on performances outside of the carnival as well as what transpired during the two weeks.

I'm pretty sure it's mainly a cash issue with Cricket Australia. Because what would have also happened would have been that there would have been selectors looking out for all the kids who are U/18 to ready a training squad up for the WC as was done last time, with camps and games played during the off-season up at the Academy, so they know whom they are picking to take away to the WC.

brockley

International Captain
Is it the 4 international selectors that pick the squads,isn't brian mcfayden officially still the under 19 coach.
I know they picked an under 18 squad round september that spent time at the academy for a few weeks,i think they played a few games against a victorian xl.
Its a shame its gone this way because our under 19 side used to play a series at home and then a series away from home each season,this seems to gone asunder.
You have to wonder tho our prep going into the next world cup then the asian under 19 teams have a busy under 19 rep schedule,i think india under 19's play 4/5 series a year.
Cricket Australia has the money i think they just couldn't be bothered which is a waste.
Do you know the tournament team that was jack heard a few of the players named kumar sarnia was 1,mathew wade,graham stockden,jeff wells,don't know who else was picked in the side.
The last time we won the world youth cup we had excellent preperation played a lot of games against the aussie academy and state 2nd xl sides.
Anyway hope we have some good under 18's players coming through would love it if we won the next world youth cup,so many australian under 19 players go on to play state and international cricket anyway.

brockley

International Captain
Is it the 4 international selectors that pick the squads,isn't brian mcfayden officially still the under 19 coach.
I know they picked an under 18 squad round september that spent time at the academy for a few weeks,i think they played a few games against a victorian xl.
Its a shame its gone this way because our under 19 side used to play a series at home and then a series away from home each season,this seems to gone asunder.
You have to wonder tho our prep going into the next world cup then the asian under 19 teams have a busy under 19 rep schedule,i think india under 19's play 4/5 series a year.
Cricket Australia has the money i think they just couldn't be bothered which is a waste.
Do you know the tournament team that was picked jack heard a few of the players named kumar sarnia was 1,mathew wade,graham stockden,jeff wells,don't know who else was picked in the side.
The last time we won the world youth cup we had excellent preperation played a lot of games against the aussie academy and state 2nd xl sides.
Anyway hope we have some good under 18's players coming through would love it if we won the next world youth cup,so many australian under 19 players go on to play state and international cricket anyway.
Noticed 2 17 year olds did well in the championship batsmen c francis from the northern territory and j faulkner from tassie whos' dad is the chairman of selectors in tassie.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
brockley said:
Nah, I'm pretty sure that it's separate. Although I know Trevor Hohns used to be the "Chairman", but that was a bit of a stage, because he rarely saw players play at the Championships, I'm pretty sure.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Do you know the tournament team that was jack heard a few of the players named kumar sarnia was 1,mathew wade,graham stockden,jeff wells,don't know who else was picked in the side.
Nope you won't win the next youth world cup. Next youth world cup will be won by Pakistan or India. It is held in Malaysia 2008.

brockley

International Captain
Salam i wouldn't write off the aust under 19's we came 3rd and were a strong side,5 years ago we won the world cup,so please don't underestimate us.
We aren't playing any international,doesn't mean we can't put together a formidable side.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Salam i wouldn't write off the aust under 19's we came 3rd and were a strong side,5 years ago we won the world cup,so please don't underestimate us.
Your left-arm spinner was a bit rubbish though...

"JACK, paging JACK. You're needed in this thread immediately." :cool:

brockley

International Captain
Play nice where did the kiwis end up last time 8-) .Go ireland :cool: .
Really we have been the dominant western side in the world youth cup the last 5 years or so.
Waiting for jacks witty repettoirre:) .

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Taken from an article on Kumar Sarna.

At the end of the carnival, he was selected to open for the Australian under-19 team in a five-game series against a visiting Pakistan under-19 team in Brisbane in April and will use the trip to attend the centre of excellence for a week upon the invitation of Cricket Australia.

brockley

International Captain
The selectors will be looking at this series closely,good to see mcfayden as coach again,and against who we played in the semis too good call,only 3 will be overage for next years world cup so good selection.
Interesting to see james smith made the team he made his debut for the redbacks last night.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Australian Under-19 squad
Shaun Austin (Queensland), Daniel Burns (New South Wales), Nathan Coulter-Nile (Western Australia), Matthew Day (New South Wales), James Faulkner (Tasmania), Michael Hill (Victoria), Phillip Hughes (New South Wales), Simon Keen (New South Wales), David Murphy (New South Wales), Dom O’Brien (Queensland), James Pattinson (Victoria), Kumar Sarna (Victoria), James Smith (South Australia)

Article on squad.

brockley

International Captain
Whats pakistan under 19 form like since the last world youth cup.
It will be a grudge series,australia will want revenge.
Is mathew wade too old?

someones father

Cricket Spectator
aussie under 19

From what i see this is a very strong squad.There is many consistent performers over many years, and helped by form at recent under 19 championships.There was some excelent individual performances from the guys selected.Now they need to gel as a team.
Apart from the one day series against Pakistan in april,more international competition is a must before next world cup in Feburary. I hear there may be a Tour of india in September.
Even so more Internationals will have to be arranged in lead up th world cup if they are serious of winning.Which they are a good chance.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
From what i see this is a very strong squad.There is many consistent performers over many years, and helped by form at recent under 19 championships.There was some excelent individual performances from the guys selected.Now they need to gel as a team.
Apart from the one day series against Pakistan in april,more international competition is a must before next world cup in Feburary. I hear there may be a Tour of india in September.
Even so more Internationals will have to be arranged in lead up th world cup if they are serious of winning.Which they are a good chance.

Not surprised the Aussies wanna test themselves out agaianst Pakistan and India. Both countries probably have the best youth programs in the world.

brockley

International Captain
Australia under 19's has been a dominant force for many many years,as had england in the past.
There has always been a great competiveness,the big problem is moving from under 19's to state cricket that is a huge gap.
Side looks great on paper,and sarnia,phillip hughes and michael hill will spend time at the academy this year.
Faulkner and patterson look like great finds and they are both only 16.
India and pakistan under 19's havc been dominant for the last decade.
But still depends on the build up a series against pakistan and india is a good warm up to the next world youth cup.
Australia were a competitive unit at the last world youth cup technichally the 3rd best side in the comp,so i don't think the apple falls to far from the tree so as to speak.

someones father

Cricket Spectator
I watched the 5 one-day games that australia under 19's played against pakistan under 19's. Aussie's took the upper hand with 2 good, tight victories, then pakistan crushed aussies in the first day nighter, then managed to chase down 310 in the next day nighter to win. then the final game with the series at 2-2, was a thriller with the aussies taking the game and series by 20 runs. some excellent performances in the series! phillip hughes made 101, 101, 48*, 60 and 72!! batting in all places in the top and middle or! superb effort! also simon keen (who was at the last world cup) made runs and took wickets. also very good to see some good performances by the alrounders as well, with keen, shaun austin and mathew day performing well especially in the final, with keen making 60 odd at 5, austin 38 at 9 and day 32* at 10. others sides be very wary of these aussies! as they have some outstanding talent and seemed to be getting closer and closer together as a team each game! and with pakistan last world cup winners, and being a very strong side at youth level, the aussies have beaten one of the giants of youth cricket! great to see and i believe the future of australian cricket is still a bright one if these men are anything to go by!!