• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TBC - Tape ball cricket

Dover 1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tape ball cricket is the rave in Barbados.It is not an entirely new form of cricket but it is the most popular and exciting game in Bim today.The rules are basically the same traditional ones.
The most interesting characteristic of this game is the type of ball used.--- a firm tennis ball which is then covered in layers of insulation tape or what some people call electrician's tape. The more heavily taped it is ,the harder it becomes . A batsman can experience tremendous pain if struck by a fast bowler.:laugh:
Because it is lightweight, this taped ball can be delivered at breathtaking speeds.:)

Dover 1

Tape ball cricket is the rave in Barbados.It is not an entirely new form of cricket but it is the most popular and exciting game in Bim today.The rules are basically the same traditional ones.
The most interesting characteristic of this game is the type of ball used.--- a firm tennis ball which is then covered in layers of insulation tape or what some people call electrician's tape. The more heavily taped it is ,the harder it becomes . A batsman can experience tremendous pain if struck by a fast bowler.:laugh:
Because it is lightweight, this taped ball can be delivered at breathtaking speeds.:)
Imagine facing up to a guy bowling at 90 mph on turf and then facing up to that same guy deilvering at that same speed on asphalt in practice:laugh: :-O

Dover 1

Maybe im on a different planet but i have never played or watched a taped ball game where the ball did not bounce. Maybe you use the wrong type of ball or it is too heavily taped:laugh:

Dover 1

Maybe im on a different planet but i have never played or watched a taped ball game where the ball did not bounce. Maybe you use the wrong type of ball or it is too heavily taped:laugh:

Remember that we are talking about a ball that is used in lawn tennis. I challenge anyone to tell me when and where they have ever watched a tennis game where the ball is not bouncing:laugh: :laugh:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I mean when the ball is taped it becomes heavier so doesn't bounce as well as a lawn tennis ball. Anyways, it does, for sure, ruin your timing though. Play with a tape ball for 2 months, then try playing hard ball cricket, you'll see what I am talking about.

Nonetheless, cricket is cricket, use whatever you can and it'll still be fun.

Dover 1

As for the tape ball spoiling your timing:laugh:
Just go back to the basics as we know them;- adjust , adjust .
Adjustment of technique and shot selection. Thats all one needs to do, as in any other cricket game

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
As for the tape ball spoiling your timing:laugh:
Just go back to the basics as we know them;- adjust , adjust .
Adjustment of technique and shot selection. Thats all one needs to do, as in any other cricket game
Yeah true true, btw is there a big cricket culture in Barbados?

Dover 1

I agree my friend , for me any kind of cricket im playing i enjoy myself . Even if its marble cricket as we call it Barbados

Dover 1

Very big.I believe thats one of the reasons that Barbados has always done so well traditionally whether its in the domestic season in the Caribbean or indeed against visiting touring teams as records will show

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Very big.I believe thats one of the reasons that Barbados has always done so well traditionally whether its in the domestic season in the Caribbean or indeed against visiting touring teams as records will show
I see, I see.

Dover 1

I agree my friend , for me any kind of cricket im playing i enjoy myself . Even if its marble cricket as we call it Barbados

BTW;- marble cricket is a form of game where everything used is considerably reduced in size. Much smaller ball , smaller bat , smaller stumps, smaller playing field and:laugh: a much smaller batsmen and bowlers:laugh: because when you are either batting or bowling you have to be on your knees:laugh: Only while fielding are you allowed to be your full height

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW;- marble cricket is a form of game where everything used is considerably reduced in size. Much smaller ball , smaller bat , smaller stumps, smaller playing field and:laugh: a much smaller batsmen and bowlers:laugh: because when you are either batting or bowling you have to be on your knees:laugh: Only while fielding are you allowed to be your full height
O wow... then it must be bbw (belly before wicket) instead of lbw :happy: .

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never played with a ball completely taped - played a few times a couple of years back with a ball that had tape on one side of it though. Crazy swing.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Welcome to the Forums, Dover 1. :)

I'm a big fan of tape ball cricket, as it is the only form of competitive cricket I have ever played. Not sure how it might ruin your timing as a batsman, but I'm more of a bowler and it definitely feels different to grip a taped up tennis ball as opposed to a real hard cricket ball. The tape ball is very light and swings prodigiously, especially when the tape on one side of the ball starts to come off. Definitely excellent for a fast bowler.

Dover 1

Glad you appreciate the taped ball version 713. The tape really makes it enteresting for both bowler and batter. And you are spot on .It does swing a lot and thats why i think its a good tool for batsmen who want to learn to play the swinging ball