• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TBC - Tape ball cricket

readie

State Regular
Never played with a ball completely taped - played a few times a couple of years back with a ball that had tape on one side of it though. Crazy swing.
My Brother and I used to play with a similar ball except instead of using tape. I'd cover one side of the tennis ball in Shoe Goo ( A Sealant used for the toe of your cricket bat to keep out moisture, used instead of a toe gaurd).

And the ball used to swing heaps.

Rusty

Cricket Spectator
My Brother and I used to play with a similar ball except instead of using tape. I'd cover one side of the tennis ball in Shoe Goo ( A Sealant used for the toe of your cricket bat to keep out moisture, used instead of a toe gaurd).

And the ball used to swing heaps.
Shoe goo huh, I'll have to try that one.

We only ever play backyard cricket with a tennis ball half taped, like Ed said, "crazy swing", pretty much ensures a quick turnover of batsman!

A few companies have gotten behind this concept with both XXXX Gold beer & KFC bringing out their own "swing balls" which are much along the same workings as a half taped ball, basically just having rubber instead. Anyway, it all leads to good fun.

Dover 1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi guys, I've never tried it with the ball taped on one side.It sounds really interesting and a whole lot of fun. Plus as it is a new concept for me , you can be sure that i will try it before this weekend is finished:)

Dover 1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi guys, I've never tried it with the ball taped on one side.It sounds really interesting and a whole lot of fun. Plus as it is a new concept for me , you can be sure that i will try it before this weekend is finished:)

I remember a few years ago playing on a tennis court with an asphalt base. We used to call this particular concept "Firms". We would use the same tennis ball, taped or not taped. There would be a lot of us guys trying to get a bat before it got too dark, so we did two things:- 1) Instesd of using stumps we would use an oil can which was 4 feet tall and about 2 feet wide.2) Anytime the batsman struck the ball , no matter how near or how far,he had run two runs.If not OUT. The down side of this was that it made you slog or hit out everytime. Used to be loads of fun though, quick turn around:laugh:

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, when I play tapeball on concrete it skids like hell, and is very quick though it seems that when played on grass it has a bit more bounce.

DaViet

Cricket Spectator
heh heh, we play that at school all the time!

We played multi versions of that actually:
Full tape (just to hurt and get wickets!) - that got out of hand quickly because all the top batsmen at our school instantly lost their form!
Half Tape (for pure inswing action) - that stopped as people took one step run ups to deliver a bal outside off and get wickets all the time, not fair!
Seam tape (for a balanced game): is what we like nowadays besides normal tennis balls, doesn't really move off the pitch, but its nice to hurt them

I'm a fast bowler haha