• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicketkeeper for 1920-39 World XI

Wicketkeeper for 1920-39 World XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
Please select the Wicketkeeper for the 1920-39 World XI:

Les Ames (Eng): 44 tests, 2387 runs @ 43.40 (8/7), HS 149 --- 95 dismissals (72/23)
Jock Cameron (SA): 26 tests, 1239 runs @ 30.21 (0/10), HS 90 --- 51 dismissals (39/12)
George Duckworth (Eng): 24 tests, 234 runs @ 14.62 (0/0), HS 39* --- 60 dismissals (45/15)
Bert Oldfield (Aus): 54 tests, 1427 runs @ 22.65 (0/4), HS 65* --- 130 dismissals (78/52)

The 1920-39 World Test XI so far:

1. Jack Hobbs --- Poll still running
2. Herb Sutcliffe --- Poll still running
3. Don Bradman
4. Wally Hammond --- Poll still running

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
I went Ames of course (and everyone has been saying that Gilchrist re-invented Keeper/Batsmen :laugh: ), however I'm amazed at Bert Oldfield's Stumpings to catches ratio.... is this the highest ever?

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Ames kept to Larwood and Verity, on uncovered decks, and is by far the best batsman of the quartet.

Can't really see an alternative - he was the original keeper-batsman.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oldfield.
Absolutely no need for a WK/Batsman with Hobbs/Sutcliffe/Bradman in the top 3.The guy has the highest dismissals per test ratio, niffty at stumping so clearly has good glovework and isn't even that shoddy with the bat.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Les Ames - the Gilchrist before Gilchrist was invented! And he kept wicket to a great leg-spinner (A P Freeman) so no resemnalance to Geriant there...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I went Oldfield. Though I've made one of my worst calls on here when I said that this poll wouldn't be an Ames walkover. ;)

I didn't realise just how strong the "keeper must a good batsman" pull would be.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I went Oldfield. Though I've made one of my worst calls on here when I said that this poll wouldn't be an Ames walkover. ;)

I didn't realise just how strong the "keeper must a good batsman" pull would be.
Yeah well the top order looks a little brittle with Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Hammond and Headley, so we need a keeper that can bat ;)

Seriously though, there is a shortage of a # 6 allrounder in this period and we might have to bat Ames at # 6 so that Gregory or Tate can come in at # 7

Last edited: