• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in India

adharcric

International Coach
Preferred India Squad

Ganguly, Tendulkar, Laxman, Badrinath/Yuvraj, Dravid, Dhoni, Sharma, Harbhajan, Zaheer, Kumble, Sreesanth
Reserves: Uthappa, Mongia, Karthik, Munaf

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's fair to say that Sehwag should be dropped and the old firm of Ganguly/ Tendulkar be allowed to open the innings once again. Robin Uthappa should be the reserve opener considering he is scoring runs in domestic cricket and looks a better prospect than Sehwag, Gambhir or Jaffer. Dravid and Yuvraj pick themselves while Mongia, Kaif, Raina, Laxman and possibly Karthik are all chances of being selected aswell as consitent performers like Badrinath. My team would look like this.

Ganguly
Tendulkar
Dravid
Laxman
Yuvraj
Mongia
Dhoni
Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth
Munaf

On a turning wicket bring in Harbhajan for Sreesanth/Zaheer/Munaf, just depends what one of the three aren't performing. Mongia hasn't done much wrong while the top 5 is full of experience. Bowlers pretty much pick themselves.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
My team would look like this...

Gambhir
Tendulkar
Dravid
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Karthik
Dhoni
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Sreesanth
Munaf

Look how strong our fielding will be with this lineup, not to forget the energy coming from all the young legs. Also, obviously, I am picking them on form as well. This is just the lineup we need for an ODI, great mix of youth along with experience.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Here's my ideal team (i.e. everyone fit, including Yuvraj)

Sachin
Gambhir
Kaif
Yuvraj
Dravid
Ganguly
Dhoni
Harbhajan/Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth/AA
Munaf

Mongia, Karthik, Gambhir, Laxman and Raina are all reserves. Irfan would probably slot in for one of the seamers when in form due to his extra batting capabilities, but obviously he must be able to actually get the pill to actually hit further than half-way up the wicket.

adharcric

International Coach
Here's my ideal team (i.e. everyone fit, including Yuvraj)

Sachin
Gambhir
Kaif
Yuvraj
Dravid
Ganguly
Dhoni
Harbhajan/Kumble
Zaheer
Sreesanth/AA
Munaf

Mongia, Karthik, Gambhir, Laxman and Raina are all reserves. Irfan would probably slot in for one of the seamers when in form due to his extra batting capabilities, but obviously he must be able to actually get the pill to actually hit further than half-way up the wicket.
Quite confident Laxman will end up playing in the World Cup after the show Kaif and Raina put on in South Africa. Hopefully the selectors dump Laxman and Ganguly for good after the World Cup, but right now their experience may be an asset. In fact, I'd like Laxman, Ganguly and Kumble all to be dropped from the one-day side after the World Cup. It's time to look to the future. There are plenty of talented cricketers waiting in the wings.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was a massive advocate for VVS's inclusion in the WC, but damn after seeing him run in this test series I think he'd possibly be more of a hazard. I love the man, but his knee surgery has hampered him so much, and if our loss to Australia in the CT showed us anything, its that we can't just rely on boundaries, we need quick singles and turning 1s into 2s and 2s into 3s.

Fair call about Kaif though, he was a disappointment in SA. Maybe Mongia will slip in, who knows.

adharcric

International Coach
That will definitely be an issue with both Laxman and Ganguly and it may cost us in the end, but these two are proven class performers and are capable of producing stellar knocks. We need to take the risk IMO. They should definitely be gone after the World Cup though. We need to focus on running between the wickets and fielding from now on.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My team would look like this...

Gambhir
Tendulkar
Dravid
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Karthik
Dhoni
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Sreesanth
Munaf

Look how strong our fielding will be with this lineup, not to forget the energy coming from all the young legs. Also, obviously, I am picking them on form as well. This is just the lineup we need for an ODI, great mix of youth along with experience.
But searching around for 10 overs from part timers.

Dravid

International Captain
We do tend to use part timers a lot in ODIs. And I would rather go with 7 batsman and 4 bowlers. How ever I would drop Munaf for Kumble

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Isn't that the same with all ODI teams?

I mean Sachin, Yuvraj, Ganguly and Mongia would split their overs.
Not all teams no - there is always a problem for a side without an all round option such as Symonds, Gayle, Flintoff etc. - but how to overcome it is the problem - is pushing the keeper up the order allowing a better bowling option at 7 one way?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not all teams no - there is always a problem for a side without an all round option such as Symonds, Gayle, Flintoff etc. - but how to overcome it is the problem - is pushing the keeper up the order allowing a better bowling option at 7 one way?
Do England have 5 full-time bowlers in ODIs?

If Irfan could bowl it'd solve the 5 bowler problem, alas he can't atm.

Dravid

International Captain
Who should be our bowlers? This is confusing now because Munaf isn't fit and can't field and wasn't really special with the ball either in Saf.

We got Sree and Zaheer for sure. Bhaji is out of form but I can him making a comeback. G Singh should get a call up for this series, unless his fitness and fielding is bad as Munaf. Kumble should play for sure, he was pretty good in the ODI series. Agarkar could as well play

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We do tend to use part timers a lot in ODIs. And I would rather go with 7 batsman and 4 bowlers. How ever I would drop Munaf for Kumble
Munaf Patel? India's best ODI bowler of recent times? If he's not fit, fair enough, but shouldn't he be fit by the time that series ticks around?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
England's a rubbish ODI side.
Gee, thanks for that.

I was referring to Marc mentioning Freddy as one of the allrounders, and wanted to know (genuine question) whether they had 4 other full-time bowlers. Because Freddy's ability is that of a full-time bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gee, thanks for that.
Therefore England wouldn't be the best example for composition of a bowling attack in ODIs. Seeing as most of them are rubbish. Don't know what you think I was insinuating, but I was attacking your opinion.