• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why England lost The Ashes

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Not in the end it wasn't - Aussies wrapped it up with, what, six wickets in hand and a dozen overs to go? Close for four days doesn't equal close result...
We got a better 1st innings total than you, it was close, it really was mate.

gwo

U19 Debutant
And I'm sure Kaspa and Lee would have gotten those 2 extra runs if Billy Bowden didnt make a mistake... AGAIN...

On that note...HOLY CRAP that guy gets away with murder and still keeps umpiring.

howardj

International Coach
Few have raised the point that momentum and confidence were by far the major reason for the blowout in the Series. To my mind, Ashes 2005 would have been very similar to this Summer if Australia had have triumphed at Edgbaston. They would have had momentum, and England would have been absolutely gutted by losing the unloseable Test match (as they were after they lost “Unloseable Adelaide”).

Australia are incredible front-runners. They are like savage dogs - their nostrils are highly tuned for any scent of fear and demoralisation. And, once they have that scent, it takes something from the hand of God to stop them (such as a Laxman/Dravid 2001 partnership). In my view, the first four days of Adelaide was a more accurate reflection of the gap between the two sides.

As I said in another thread, in professional sport, if your confidence is down (England's was shot after the result in Adelaide) then a good team will take advantage over the remainder of the Series. If that Series is a five match series, then the gap between the teams can become gigantic, as the confidence gradually drains and the mental scars grow commensurately deeper. It’s largely a distortion of the true situation though.

No journalist really highlighted these obvious but important points, except for the incomparable Simon Barnes.

If I was England, there are certainly some major lessons to be learned from the Series. The major one being that every battle is won before it is fought (i.e. make sure your preparation is near perfect). They do need to improve, but I would not get carried away if I were them by listening to populist tripe of the Boycotts and Botham's etc and start believing that there is this great big chasm between English and Australian cricket. There's not.

Most of the English guys can definitely match it with Australia - their confidence was just shot after Adelaide as it would have been if Edgbaston had have fallen Australia's way in 2005.

gwo

U19 Debutant
Not the point.

He wasn't out.

It's not only about whether you get all the easy ones right and the hard ones wrong....its about getting the hard ones right...thats what makes you good.

Matt79

Global Moderator
We got a better 1st innings total than you, it was close, it really was mate.
I guess what I'm saying is that a match being hard-fought for the majority of its duration doesn't automatically make the result close. It WAS close until England lost three wickets for 4 runs before the first drink break of day 5, after that it seemed at first grimly inevitable and then unbelievably comfortable. So, in the end, it wasn't close.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not the point.

He wasn't out.

It's not only about whether you get all the easy ones right and the hard ones wrong....its about getting the hard ones right...thats what makes you good.
Yet you don't complain when one of the last pair was let off well before that time?