• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hinton Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.hinton

International Captain
My views on England and how to change them

It crap that we did that against the Aussies but lets fact it they are the BEST team in sport IMO.

The English game need a crackdown as not good at top level as we thought it would be.

Suggestions

1) Scrap Central Contracts but have 6 regional teams in place so they can play against each other therefore the system will be better, with a feeder system from the County game

The Likes s of Caddick, Vaughan, Butcher could play this week in week out and it could be a Better test for them

Squad could be on the same lines as the states and are then only allowed to play regional cricket , this will devalue the Counties but do you want a Great england team

2) County Championship down to"Semi-pro" status and more youth orientated. Have less matches but have more Local matches so the crowd will get better, Counties will basically be Club Cricket based players

3) Keep the Natwest trophy and style it like crickets FA Cup add University sides to it and also have the best players playing in it therefore it is now the major competition and will be crickets fa cup

4) Get rid of the old fart, it may sound Ageist but a lot are Destorying the game even at Club/Village level. Coaches are not with the times in England like they used to and have a lot of ideas which would suit the 60s and they dont have faith in Leg-spinners

5) Give Terry Jenner more Money to coach leg-spinners and tell the coaches to understand them and Encourage them to the max!
they are brilliant leggies in the system but are not used or given the chance to shine, Warne consided 10 off 1 over in the test but Waugh had faith and left him on it would not happen over here we are too defensive in the county for too many years

6) Keep the Acadamy as it will work with more chance but have England A in the Summer and play against other Touring Counties i dont underatnd why we did not have that.

7) Bring in Techinal coaches to sort out the players, for test level only as some players are simply out of there depth at test level afzaal and that sort.

English Cricket needs more of a revamp and go along the same lines as the aussie version. There is a need for a leg-spinner for england people like Marc are living in the past,

Marc what is your email address so that i can email you about leg spin?

Becasue of England A, County Cricket will suffer but i think it will be a good thing (More youngsters) and the county system will start working and it will begin to harvest some players will remain in the county system but will be part-time the present county system is too cosy and needs fixing

Old Coaches are the problem they are only there becasue of "Jobs for the Boys" a Few counties they is what is in Practice

I going to write this is better form so if you are interested then email me at chrishinton19@yahoo.co.uk

[Edited on 26/11/2002 by chris.hinton]

[Edited on 26/11/2002 by chris.hinton]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I have a CW one - click on the email button.

I still don't think our conditions warrent playing a spinner in every game though.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178

I still don't think our conditions warrent playing a spinner in every game though.
You don't have an e-mail button :frog: :D

Bazza

International 12th Man
In other words make ourseleves as much like Australia as possible?! You will never be the best by being reactive, only by being proactive as by the time you reap the benefits of copying Australia's set up they will no longer be the best side and you will have another overhaul to copy the now best side, whomever that may be. Also to 6, the England A tours were scrapped if I'm right due to financial constraints, and these tours were 'replaced' by the academy. Oh yeah and leg spin isn't always the answer!:P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rich2001
Originally posted by marc71178

You don't have an e-mail button :frog: :D
That's strange - I have my email address set up in my profile!

Andre

International Regular
Chris, your plan really seems to lack common sense. Would'nt making the game semi-pro be taking a step 20 years backwards and make the good young players leave the game?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Originally posted by Andre
Chris, your plan really seems to lack common sense. Would'nt making the game semi-pro be taking a step 20 years backwards and make the good young players leave the game?
I can understand you point Andre but the problem is that they are not many players good Enough to play for England only 35 in Australia its 45, Semi-pro will still mean they will get a Wage packet but not that big. Youngsters could also play Cricket and have a Job at the same time

The Amount i am looking at is this

A avage county player will play

( 8X4) County championship matches Max)
9 or 10 National League matches
at least 1 Natwest match
20-0ver cricket week

that is just 48 days cricket that is over a Mouth giving them money,rest and work

Plus Club cricket

and if the young lads are good enough then they will progess into the regional game and be Pro

Matt79

Global Moderator
I reckon Hinton makes some fair points - his main criticisms are based on fairly commonly held concerns about English domestic cricket - too many matches, too many teams, talent spread too thinly to provide a proper grounding for test cricket, and too many old pros content to feast in county cricket with no intention or ability to seek higher honours clogging up the system and holding back young guys. Chris has tried to suggest an alternative.

I think what he's really getting at is whether English cricket needs to undergo a mindset change in which County cricket is no longer seen as an end in itself, but is clearly suborned to the interests and strengthening of England the international competitor. If that is to be the case, then it makes sense to have fewer teams and fewer matches, but with the focus on achieving the highest quality competition short of Test cricket - 8 to 10 teams tops would seem to be the best number for this. There would need to be some structure to ensure that, along with being the highest quality, the players coming through it are players that the English team can use.

It's not to say that English cricket is completely dire, or that it can't be successful without doing this, but the reality is that since cricket has become a professional sport, England has gone from being consistently one of the world's best teams, to consistently a middle-of-the-pack team. Given England's population, resources, and tradition in the game, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a consistent powerhouse providing a lot of the drive in the sport world wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.