• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie media mocks England

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahindiawah

Banned
Aussie media mock England

Is there anybody in England who can play cricket? -- Daily telegraph!

Why are English cricket fans paranoid that every Tom, Dick and Harry in Australia is laughing at Nasser Hussain's men?
Because they are.

The Telegraph deemed the story front page stuff

The Sydney Morning Herald cuts to the chase with its sardonic headline: And it's a comeback by the Poms - just kidding

"In just 127 minutes reports were dispelled that English cricket had sprung back to life and that the battle for the Ashes might be a contest after all.

"That's how long it took for England's batting line-up to crumble for 79 at the Gabba yesterday to lose the first Test.

"On Friday night, after England's stirring fightback on day two, there were many who hoped that the five-match battle for cricket's most famous prize could, despite recent evidence, make engrossing viewing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brisbane's Courier Mail was less cutting, but equally damning, as they cried: Nervous England crushed by class

Hussain admitted England were nervous

"The Ashes are poised to stay in Australia's grasp for the eighth successive series after red-faced England was bowled out for a sorrowful 79 yesterday.

"The innings lasted just 127 minutes, shorter than an AFL match and about as long as many of the in-house movies the team would have watched with blank faces at its Brisbane hotel last night.

"It was England's lowest total in Australia since 1904 and it seemed even smaller than it was."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Herald Sun, published in Melbourne, smirked: Aussies eye Ashes after crushing win

"England last night owned up to a massive dose of stage fright after Australia yesterday completed one of the greatest routs in Ashes history.

Aussie fans couldn't wipe the smile off their faces

"England had one excellent day, one fair one and two absolute stinkers, confirming everyone's suspicion that they have enough talent to muster a fighting hour, session or day, but nowhere near enough to sustain it day after day.

"It was not as if England gave its wickets away yesterday. It yielded a string of edges after simply being outbowled and outclassed, the story of Ashes battles of the past 13 years."

Former stars criticise England

The country's sole national daily newspaper, The Australian, led with: Aussies strike first blood in Ashes

The back page of Sydney's Daily Telegraph

"Even by the lowly standards of England's recent humiliating Ashes history, yesterday's capitulation in the first Test was remarkable.

"In about the time it takes to mow the lawn, England was mown down by the world's two greatest bowlers, Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne, to be all out for 79.

"Drama, tragedy and farce were played out with continuing ineptitude as England lost by 384 runs, one of their worst failings in the 125 years of Anglo-Australian Test cricket.

"The only defiance yesterday came from the wrong side of the fence as England's legion of rowdy supporters, the self-styled Barmy Army, continued to chant 'Mighty, mighty England'.

"It could not have been less appropriate as batsmen came and went as quickly as every three minutes."

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Arogant but also 1 up in the series and the BEST side in the world by a LONG LONG WAY!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Just a lot of crap from the Aussie papers as usual. No suprises why only Aussies read these papers, they are ego massagers who over-eccentuate every success and blow up every faliure by the opposition. Aussie papers' opinions mean zip.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Just a lot of crap from the Aussie papers as usual. No suprises why only Aussies read these papers, they are ego massagers who over-eccentuate every success by the home side and blow up every faliure by the opposition. Aussie papers' opinions mean zip.

If newspapers in England had headlines like that (and they do in the Sun...and the Daily Sport and such...which I do not read) then I, for one, could not cope.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
What do u mean Rik, The English Newspapers bag the English side more then we do....
:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
GB's right. Our papers are pathetic.

We're going to be on the end of some heavy beatings against by far and away the best side in the world, we've got to learn from them.

ITV Teletext poll - "Is this the Worst Ashes Side Ever"?

That sums up the malaise of English sport society in general...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Gregory Blewett
What do u mean Rik, The English Newspapers bag the English side more then we do....
:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P
Yes but they don't praise England down to the ground which the Aussie papers do to Australia...the headlines are tacky, attempt to be funny but fail and generally take away the satisfaction of a win by continuing to have a go at the opposition if they loose. Also they spent several months slagging off England before the Ashes even started...to me that takes away some of the gloss from the Ashes as a contest.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
how could you no praise the aussie team, they are one of the greates stides ever and well lets face it, england suck

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ITV Teletext poll - "Is this the Worst Ashes Side Ever"?

That sums up the malaise of English sport society in general...
I noted that, and also the poll 3 polls back (last week) - Can England win the Ashes?

Talk about extremes.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by age_master
how could you no praise the aussie team, they are one of the greates stides ever and well lets face it, england suck
There is a difference between praising and overdoing it. As I said before Aussie papers ruin any spirit the Ashes once had. And England don't suck as badly as you think, at least we drew with India...what did you manage ;):D:lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by age_master
There is a difference between praising and overdoing it. As I said before Aussie papers ruin any spirit the Ashes once had. And England don't suck as badly as you think, at least we drew with India...what did you manage? ;):D:lol:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im afraid Rik..that the English media is the worst.

A good example was the All Blacks/England match where all the writers suggested that New Zealand had brought their reserve, reserve, reserve team to England & that England should thump them by about 30 points.

England are definately the worst at building themselves up, while Australia are probably the worst at gloating (but maybe rightly so with their outstanding performances)

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Tim
Im afraid Rik..that the English media is the worst.

A good example was the All Blacks/England match where all the writers suggested that New Zealand had brought their reserve, reserve, reserve team to England & that England should thump them by about 30 points.

England are definately the worst at building themselves up, while Australia are probably the worst at gloating (but maybe rightly so with their outstanding performances)
I think all the media have the same problem, they love to be on the bandwagon while the team is on a high, but will be the first to slaughter them when they lose...

For example look at all those headlines from the 1st test now just think of what the headlines would be if England were to win the 2nd Test.....

It wouldn't be " Great reply from England" it would be alone the lines of " Aussie in humiliating defeat to England, time for XXXX to be dropped" Yet Australia then win the 3rd Test, all the media would be back on the bandwagon saying how great the Aussie's are.....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And England don't suck as badly as you think, at least we drew with India...what did you manage? ;):D:lol:
Hmmmmm, selective quoting of results, don't you think? I think you neglected to mention that you drew with India at home when you should have pumelled them and that the last series against India at home, Australia beat them 3-0. Both teams have lost in India.

Either way, I think it's interesting that people from a country who's media took an unauthorised photo of Mark Taylor with a metre-wide cricket bat after he'd specifically refused, would accuse another's media of being tacky and 'over the top'.

Pot, kettle, black, gentlemen.

Yes but they don't praise England down to the ground which the Aussie papers do to Australia...
I very nearly choked when I read that. I guess you don't remember the headlines when England beat Australia in the first Test of the 1997 series, eh? You'd have thought England had won the World Cup!

Believe me I'm not defending the media in Australia (they're rapidly heading in the same direction as English papers if they're not already there) but saying something like that is just not even clutching at straws. It's just balantly untrue.

You're trying to defend the indefensible on this one. The English media is rubbish as is the Aussie media and they're just as bad as each other.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
[quote
[/quote]

There is a difference between praising and overdoing it. As I said before Aussie papers ruin any spirit the Ashes once had. And England don't suck as badly as you think, at least we drew with India...what did you manage ;):D:lol: [/quote]

Yeah but that drawn series was played at English players own back yard, in India England were beaten 1-0, Aus on the other hand managed to win a test match in India and won the onedayer series in India!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Top_Cat
And England don't suck as badly as you think, at least we drew with India...what did you manage? ;):D:lol:
Hmmmmm, selective quoting of results, don't you think? I think you neglected to mention that you drew with India at home when you should have pumelled them and that the last series against India at home, Australia beat them 3-0. Both teams have lost in India.

Either way, I think it's interesting that people from a country who's media took an unauthorised photo of Mark Taylor with a metre-wide cricket bat after he'd specifically refused, would accuse another's media of being tacky and 'over the top'.

Pot, kettle, black, gentlemen.

Yes but they don't praise England down to the ground which the Aussie papers do to Australia...
I very nearly choked when I read that. I guess you don't remember the headlines when England beat Australia in the first Test of the 1997 series, eh? You'd have thought England had won the World Cup!

Believe me I'm not defending the media in Australia (they're rapidly heading in the same direction as English papers if they're not already there) but saying something like that is just not even clutching at straws. It's just balantly untrue.

You're trying to defend the indefensible on this one. The English media is rubbish as is the Aussie media and they're just as bad as each other.
No I didn't know that as in 97 I was 13 and only played cricket, I didn't follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.