• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be in the new Aussie Test Team?

JByrne21

Cricket Spectator
It is without doubt one of the hottest topics of discussion at the moment.
Me personally, I'd love to see a huge shake up of the mix.
Here is my preffered 11 in my preferred batting order.
Any one got any other ideas?

Michael Hussey
Brad Hodge
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Andrew Symonds
Shaun Marsh
Brad Haddin
Cameron White
Shaun Tait/Nathan Bracken
Stuart Clark
Brett Lee
David Hussey-12th man

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, since when does Brad Hodge open? Fairly sure Hayden hasn't announced his retirement. Or Gilchrist.

That said, I was talking to Casson about this earlier, and if there was say, another test series immediately after this one, the team in the first test would look like:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

That is, that's what the selectors would pick. I'd much rather have Watson in over Symonds, and there's a decent argument for Rogers over Jaques, but that's what would be picked, IMO.

Last edited:

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
If Hodge was picked (doubtful) he would not be as an opener. Brett Lee deserves way higher than number 11, Cam White would (if selected) most probably bat higher. Shaun Tait would be your 11. :D

JByrne21

Cricket Spectator
That's a fair call. I'd prefer to see White in over Macgill. Langer is gone so it's time for Hayden to move on. I don't want Haydo's career to end like the Waugh twins' did, which it will if he continues for much longer. Not a huge fan of Watson, or Symonds really for that matter, but Symonds gets my vote purely for his ability in the field. Gilly can play as long as he wants in my book, but it's time to bring youth into a team that is led by the best batting captain in the world and see how good his captaining skills really are.

adharcric

International Coach
Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

That is, that's what the selectors would pick. I'd much rather have Watson in over Symonds, and there's a decent argument for Rogers over Jaques, but that's what would be picked, IMO.
Watson over Symonds IMO. Not sure how well a four-man attack would work without Warne and McGrath. Symonds is not exactly a threat with the ball.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hmmmm.....

Cameron White is a leg spinner in name only. Might get a ODI guernsey but not Test...not yet anyway.

Hussey I would leave in the middle order - Jaques or Rogers or maybe even North to take Langers place.

Hodge as an opener? Has he ever played as an opener? I actually doubt we'll see him in Australian colours again (he can join the Stuart Law-Martin Love club).

I don't think we can afford to have Lee and Tait in the same XI

Just going with the players we have to replace:

Langer - Jaques, Rogers or North

Warne - well its MacGill but he needs to take some wickets at the start of next season. If not MacGill, then probably Dan Cullen but then his reputation is a tad bigger than his performances so far. Could we perhaps do without a spinner (gasp)?

McGrath - Mitchell Johnson appears to be the annointed one but it will be interesting to see how Hifenhaus progresses.

Symonds may still be battling Watson for that number 6 spot - it may depend on how the selectors view his bowling ie. is it good enough for him to be considered the 5th bowler (and they might need one without McGrath and Warne there)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Team in the opening post is horrible.

Andy is right, though I think Watson would be picked over Symonds still. The fact is that Watson's bowling is infinitely better than Symonds' and improving all the time, and the selectors have him in mind because of that. Watson has the potential to be a genuine threat with the ball, whereas Symonds fills in overs. Add in the fact that Symonds isn't a particularly good test batsman and Watson will get a run pretty easily, provided he gets himself fit. At least through next summer, and for a while after that if he makes any runs.

MacGill is a certainty to come in if he's fit, and Johnson is the most likely for McGrath's spot, though it does depend somewhat on form given that the next test is so far away. Jaques will most likely replace Langer, though form may enter into it there as well. He'd need to have a shocker of a season in England to miss out. If Gilchrist retires after the world cup, Haddin will come in.

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist/Haddin
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

social

Andy is right, though I think Watson would be picked over Symonds still. The fact is that Watson's bowling is infinitely better than Symonds' and improving all the time, and the selectors have him in mind because of that. Watson has the potential to be a genuine threat with the ball, whereas Symonds fills in overs. Add in the fact that Symonds isn't a particularly good test batsman and Watson will get a run pretty easily, provided he gets himself fit. At least through next summer, and for a while after that if he makes any runs.

MacGill is a certainty to come in if he's fit, and Johnson is the most likely for McGrath's spot, though it does depend somewhat on form given that the next test is so far away. Jaques will most likely replace Langer, though form may enter into it there as well. He'd need to have a shocker of a season in England to miss out. If Gilchrist retires after the world cup, Haddin will come in.

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist/Haddin
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill
Agreed but selectors may still plump for Symonds and having Hussey open (to cater for Watson in the middle order) is not out of the question either

adharcric

International Coach
Agreed but selectors may still plump for Symonds and having Hussey open (to cater for Watson in the middle order) is not out of the question either
What if Gilchrist retires? Clarke-Symonds-Watson-Haddin to follow Ponting? The weakest Aussie middle-order in a while?

Mister Wright

I think Hayden & Gilchrist both want to get to 100 test matches, and unless Australia play 2 tests against Zimbabwe in June/July they will need to play at least one more summer. We could then see them both retire.

Perm

Hopefully the matches against Zimbabwe are called off so Gilchrist isn't rested and he can make 100 consecutive test match appearences.

Johnners

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist/Haddin
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill
I tend to agree with all of what you've said except for MacGill being a certainty. I'd certainly agree that at this stage he's the most likely to take the spinners role, however, it must be noted that Australia's next test match is most likely 11 months away, and at that stage, MacGill will be 36, nearly 37.

Whilst he has indeed taken 198 test wickets @ 25, and deserves the chance based on that record alone, if he's bowling as poorly in FC cricket in november, as he is right now, i'd definetly think twice about selecting him. If 1 of Bailey, Cullen, Casson or Hauritz are bowling better than Stuey, i'd be tempted to play them ahead of him purely and simply for Longevity purposes. However, if none of them are bowling all that well either, i'd most likely go for Stuey as well.

luffy

International Captain
Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
White
Gilchrist
Lee
Clarke
Johnson

Josh

International Regular
Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds/Watson
Gilchrist
White/MacGill/Cullen/Hauritz (still no idea who's gonna get that spot; probably will depend on county form aswell)
Lee
Clark
Johnson

Johnners

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
White
Gilchrist
Lee
Clarke
Johnson
Quite clearly Michael Clarke cannot be selected twice, nor can Rikke Clarke be selected for Australia, and if you mean Stuart Clark(take note there is no E on the end of his name!!) it's insulting to him that Australian fans such as yourself continue to spell his name with an E!!! :@

had to say it, an inexcusable mistake imo

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
From my limited knowledge:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist
Lee
MacGill
Clark
Johnson

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Quite clearly Michael Clarke cannot be selected twice, nor can Rikke Clarke be selected for Australia, and if you mean Stuart Clark(take note there is no E on the end of his name!!) it's insulting to him that Australian fans such as yourself continue to spell his name with an E!!! :@

had to say it, an inexcusable mistake imo
:laugh: I'd expect so.

adharcric

International Coach
I tend to agree with all of what you've said except for MacGill being a certainty. I'd certainly agree that at this stage he's the most likely to take the spinners role, however, it must be noted that Australia's next test match is most likely 11 months away, and at that stage, MacGill will be 36, nearly 37.

Whilst he has indeed taken 198 test wickets @ 25, and deserves the chance based on that record alone, if he's bowling as poorly in FC cricket in november, as he is right now, i'd definetly think twice about selecting him. If 1 of Bailey, Cullen, Casson or Hauritz are bowling better than Stuey, i'd be tempted to play them ahead of him purely and simply for Longevity purposes. However, if none of them are bowling all that well either, i'd most likely go for Stuey as well.
Even if Bailey, Cullen or Casson really impress in FC cricket over the next year or so, MacGill would remain a certainty IMO. He's a proven option in test cricket while the other three are not even close. Unless MacGill gets injured or bowls horrendously (really, really horrendously), he should be on track to become the #1 spinner in the next test.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The only way I'd support selecting any of those guys would be if they were averaging 20 or so for the season. Even when MacGill is bowling badly he's still the second best spinner in Australia very comfortably. Even in his bad run this season he has 16 wickets @ 34, compared to Bailey's 17 wickets @ 40, Cassons 7 wickets @ 46, White's 7 wickets @ 49 and Cullen's 2 wickets @ 76. Hauritz doesn't have a FC wicket. The only spinners who have outbowled MacGill have been from WA - Heal and Hogg, one of whom is a similar age to MacGill, and neither of whom have his long history of success in FC and test cricket.