• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be in the new Aussie Test Team?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agreed but selectors may still plump for Symonds and having Hussey open (to cater for Watson in the middle order) is not out of the question either
There is very little chance of the selectors picking Symonds if they already have five bowlers in the side. There are stacks of better batsmen in the country - Symonds gets picked as an allrounder. With Watson fit, he'd nab that role and Symonds would be on the outer. It's Watson v Symonds basically. They won't play both - Symonds is a good enough batsman.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe there's any sort of serious claim that Heal should be picked. He can't even get a game for WA ahead of Hogg, and has five FC matches. At least pick Bailey or White if you want someone young in the team. Picking Heal would be like picking Blizzard or Christian for the World Cup.

Anyway, MacGill was bowling as well as he's ever bowled 12 months or so ago, so I don't think he's past it based on one fairly poor season. Judged on his own high standards he's been pretty bad, but he's still got a better average than any spinner in the country bar Hogg and Heal. And really, even if he is past it, he still has to be picked until he fails. He's certainly earned the right to have a run in the team until someone else puts their hand up, and nobody has done that yet.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think, without Warne and McGrath, we'll slip back to the field a lot more than people think. It's not just their wicket taking ability or their ability to strangle the scoring, but the aura they give our team. We'll be stripped of our aura, ala 2003/04.
The other thing that will definitely go is control IMO.

OK, there's a replacement for McGrath's control in Clark, but there isn't one for Clark, so the seam bowling attack will be less economical.

Add in MacGill and there's potential for a lot more quick runs to come.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a lot of talk about the potential of Mitchell Johnson and Shaun Tait. And while I agree that both have immense potential - Johnson more than Tait IMO - there's a lot to be said for the task at hand. The pressure on these bowlers will be immense because so many are expecting them to come into the side and impact immediately. Unreasonable expectations, and doubly so on Johnson because he's been so impressive in ODIs thus far.

It's true that the loss of both McGrath an Warne will hurt Australia greatly, but I hazzard to suggest that McGrath is the more critical loss. A bowler of McGrath's stature at the front of a bowling attack is so crucial. The only series that Australia has lost in recent times saw McGrath miss 2 Tests. England won those two Tests and established the margin of victory. And how many other Tests has Australia lost in recent times? Rhetorical, no doubt.

As Marc said, Clark seems capable of filling McGrath's shoes, but that still leaves two weak links in the seam attack, seeing as Brett Lee is still struggling to belong at Test level and there's need for a new 3rd seamer. So before even getting to the spin quotient of the attack, Australia have problems. I have no doubt that Australia will cope with these problems in time, given the impressive domestic structure they boast, but the weight upon young shoulders will be immense. Let's not forget that though Australia have unearthed Clark in the international set-up, he's been around for a while and, like Hussey, is no guarantee for the young talent that must come into the side.

Mitchell Johnson faces the toughest challenge of his career.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Why do people forget that Lee is 30-odd, with the pace that he bowls at, he isn't going to be around for too much longer 3 years at the max.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Why do people forget that Lee is 30-odd, with the pace that he bowls at, he isn't going to be around for too much longer 3 years at the max.
Does it matter? He's hardly as important to the Australian bowling attack as McGrath and Warne are. I don't think anyone is seriously regarding Lee as a major force in post-McWarne Australia.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Does it matter? He's hardly as important to the Australian bowling attack as McGrath and Warne are. I don't think anyone is seriously regarding Lee as a major force in post-McWarne Australia.
Well everyone is having him in their teams......

A line-up of Clark, Johnson and any other fast but inaccurate bowlers seems pretty crap to me.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well everyone is having him in their teams......

A line-up of Clark, Johnson and any other fast but inaccurate bowlers seems pretty crap to me.
Well of course people would include him their teams. It's not like he's about to be sacked any time soon.

But is a lineup of Clark, Johnson and Lee necessarily any better though? Perhaps a little harsh on Lee, but let's face it, his role in the Australian attack will become significantly more questionable with the removal of McGrath - metronomical accuracy - from it.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Theres no doubt in my mind that the loss of McGrath and Warne will leave a huge whole - and McGrath might be the bigger hole to fill. How many times has he started the rot in opposition batting lineups? Their mere presence on the field has an effect - not just their bowling (as has been pointed out already in this thread).

I rate Johnson above Tait - only just though - and he is still pretty raw. But he is undoubtedly the next in line - hasn't be been 12th man all Ashes series? so he is already part of the setup. But with 10 months or so till Australia play another test match, there is always the potential for someone else to put their hand up - Hifenhaus? Nofske (sp?) ?....My concern with Tait is that he can be a bit Lee-like - he can bowl brilliant spells but can also dish up some rubbish. I saw him interviewed last season and he admitted that he didn't know where they were going sometimes....hmmmm.....if he and Lee were to both have an off day, Australia could be chasing alot of leather next season (courtesy Tendulkar, Dravid etc..).
Both Johnson and Tait are works in progress though which is worth remembering.

I also agree with alot of the comments regarding the other spin prospects around the country - alot of hype about Cullen, Bailey etc..but until they are bowling out state sides consistently, MacGill really remains the only option. He IS out of form and has had a number of off field distractions this year, but he is a proven performer at test level - even if he has played alot of his tests on turning wickets.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mitchell Johnson faces the toughest challenge of his career.
No crap? Your whole post was pretty much summed up in ths line, which is obvious to anyone in this forum who`s watched a cricket game. McGrath was alright, so Johnson will be under pressure. Ground-breaking Camps.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Tait was bowling awesome for the PM's IX against England, but I don't think he will be thrown back into the test side until he gets his economy down, possible in the com bank series.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, just re-read my post, and realise how much of a little girl I sound like, especially when I`m advocating having Heal play a Test-match for Australia. It`s probably coming from my frustration of Australia having lame spin replacements at this stage, and the fact that I`ve been closely studying MacGill`s performances in all forms or cricket, watching him under-perform, and having people not listen to a bar of what I`m saying.

My apologies Campos.

Mr Mxyzptlk

No crap? Your whole post was pretty much summed up in ths line, which is obvious to anyone in this forum who`s watched a cricket game. McGrath was alright, so Johnson will be under pressure. Ground-breaking Camps.
Way to miss a point Nath. Cheers.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Haha, just re-read my post, and realise how much of a little girl I sound like, especially when I`m advocating having Heal play a Test-match for Australia. It`s probably coming from my frustration of Australia having lame spin replacements at this stage, and the fact that I`ve been closely studying MacGill`s performances in all forms or cricket, watching him under-perform, and having people not listen to a bar of what I`m saying.

My apologies Campos.
But MacGill was bowling crap for NSW last year as well, but when he was picked to play against Bangladesh he really stepped up. He should be given first shot. If he doesn't perform - out he goes.

Dydl

International Debutant
Haha, since when does Brad Hodge open? Fairly sure Hayden hasn't announced his retirement. Or Gilchrist.

That said, I was talking to Casson about this earlier, and if there was say, another test series immediately after this one, the team in the first test would look like:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist
Lee
Clark
Johnson
MacGill

That is, that's what the selectors would pick. I'd much rather have Watson in over Symonds, and there's a decent argument for Rogers over Jaques, but that's what would be picked, IMO.
My cousin and I were just discussing the new test team and came up with exactly that team. The selectors will probably stick with Symonds for a while because of the 150 and the 48 he made recently. Jaques will almost definitely be chosen over Rogers I think.

luffy

International Captain
Quite clearly Michael Clarke cannot be selected twice, nor can Rikke Clarke be selected for Australia, and if you mean Stuart Clark(take note there is no E on the end of his name!!) it's insulting to him that Australian fans such as yourself continue to spell his name with an E!!! :@

had to say it, an inexcusable mistake imo
Well sorry!! Jeez make a huge fuss out of it.

Last edited: