• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Commentary Team Captain?

Who will wear the bone?

• Ian Chappel

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Mark Nicholas

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Mark Taylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Slater

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Ian Healy

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cameeel

International Captain
Tbh, I don't really mind who takes over Benaud's position, as long as Benaud leaves as soon as possible. I'd be ecstatic if he chucked in the towel before 10 am tomorrow.

cameeel

International Captain
:-O y is that?
He's too old. All he does is state the obvious, such as "cracking shot", and "Ponting's captaincy has improved since 2005" and "Australia need a wicket". I was so cut when I got Cricket 05 and he was the commentator.

Stumped

Banned
He's too old. All he does is state the obvious, such as "cracking shot", and "Ponting's captaincy has improved since 2005" and "Australia need a wicket". I was so cut when I got Cricket 05 and he was the commentator.
oh ok, i dont agree with that but everyone is intitled to an opinion

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ritche's still wearing the bone so he still captain, dont no y he isnt on screen anymore though, maybe he is slowly retiring
Unless you can prove otherwise, i seriously doubt if "wearing the bone" has anything at all to do with the captaincy and is a myth created by Billy Birmingham's mockery of the team with the 12th man. However it this is not the case, i'd be interested to see/know where you read/heard this

Last edited:

Stumped

Banned
Unless you can prove otherwise, i seriously doubt if "wearing the bone" has anything at all to do with the captaincy and is a myth created by Billy Birmingham's mockery of the team with the 12th man. However it this is not the case, i'd be interested to see/know where you this
well then wat is the significance of the bone jackets while all other members where navy?

Stumped

Banned
acutal thats funny u say that as in this series they were talkin to ritchie about commentating and he said the key to commentary is not stating the obvious

Perm

Richie said on a radio interview once that the thing that makes a good commentator is not telling the listeners what they can see.

Johnners

There may have been some significance previously, but i highly doubt it now. Anyway, as i said, it seriously sounds like your relying on what the 12th man alone has said, which at times can hardly be described as a reliable source. Also if thats the case, do you beleive that Mark Nicholas says "Smashing Baby" and only ever talks about "shags" as well??

Stumped

Banned
There may have been some significance previously, but i highly doubt it now. Anyway, as i said, it seriously sounds like your relying on what the 12th man alone has said, which at times can hardly be described as a reliable source. Also if thats the case, do you beleive that Mark Nicholas says "Smashing Baby" and only ever talks about "shags" as well??
i never based anything on the twelfth man, acutal well, i took it that the bone ment captain or mostly on screen and it makes sense but, wat is the significance of the bone, the white, the off-white, and the baje

andyc

Because it was just a suggestion by Kerry Packer (IIRC) to help him stand out. It has no significance. It's just a jacket.

cameeel

International Captain
acutal thats funny u say that as in this series they were talkin to ritchie about commentating and he said the key to commentary is not stating the obvious
Of course he'd say that. It's the only thing he knows how to do nowadays.

Nothing wrong with stating the obvious, but in a medium where we can see what's going on you need to be able to back it up with some meaningful insights.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be Nicholas, but I have no idea why we'd get a pom to headline OUR cricket. Makes no sense imo.
It's the same as Richie headlining the BBC's coverage for so many years. I'm a fan of Mark Nicholas tbh, despite the caning he gets from some people, and I'd have no problem with him taking over the captaincy (though as many have pointed out, he is already the captain in all but name these days).

That being said, I won't be living back in Australia for years, so it's unlikely to affect me anyway for a while. I'll just have to stick with Nasser, Athers, Both, Gower and co over here.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
That being said, I won't be living back in Australia for years, so it's unlikely to affect me anyway for a while. I'll just have to stick with Nasser, Athers, Both, Gower and co over here.
You're better off for it. Bumble >>>>> Nicholas

howardj

International Coach
I don't mind the new folk - Nicholas, Slater, Taylor and Healy (and Warne next Summer).

Lawry, Greig and Benaud must go though.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind the new folk - Nicholas, Slater, Taylor and Healy (and Warne next Summer).

Lawry, Greig and Benaud must go though.
I've never known cricket TV commentary in Australia without those 3. Tony and Bill annoy the hell out of me more often than not, but it will still seem strange when they're not in the commentary box.

Richie though is an institution, and even if he's not no.1 man any more he's still the voice of cricket to me. When he goes I think us younger generation will understand what our parents and grandparents felt when Alan McGilvray hung up the ABC radio mic for the last time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chappelli already been possibly the greatest Australian captain.

Give him commentary captaincy, he'll just fire the rest and talk about how Kallis bats too slow, Clark and McGrath can't play in the same team, and that Ian Bell can't hit on the offside.

What a champ. :)