• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Potential changes to the laws of cricket

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Use the advertising hoardings as the boundarys. I'm fed up with bully-boy big hitters being able to click their wrists and the ball going for six.
I believe the reason for that is that it's not safe for a fielder to go sliding into a solid fence that won't give way. However, I do agree that by and large the boundary ropes are pulled in way too far these days - it's a deliberate and cynical attempt to get more punters through the gate by luring them with more 4s and 6s. Seriously, how many 3s do you see run nowadays, let alone all-run 4s?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Saw two today in the Twenty20...............

Well do something about the hoardings to make them safer, anything really. But I agree with you on the whole.

Dick Rockett

Well do something about the hoardings to make them safer, anything really. But I agree with you on the whole.
Well, if you mount the hoardings on the boundary fence, and the boundary fence is directly in front of the seating, there's not much you can do but bring the ropes in a little. But only a little, mind. Last time I was at the Basin they were a good six or seven meters in from the fence. Crazy, IMO.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I believe the reason for that is that it's not safe for a fielder to go sliding into a solid fence that won't give way. However, I do agree that by and large the boundary ropes are pulled in way too far these days - it's a deliberate and cynical attempt to get more punters through the gate by luring them with more 4s and 6s. Seriously, how many 3s do you see run nowadays, let alone all-run 4s?
There were plenty of the above mentioned in the Ashes series just gone, particularly at Melbourne

Dick Rockett

There were plenty of the above mentioned in the Ashes series just gone, particularly at Melbourne
Aside from the fact that it's more likely in tests due to the type of fields that are set, I still reckon there aren't as many happening as there used to, at least here in NZ there isn't.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I honestly don't beleive there was 90 overs of play in any day this ashes series where the english team was doing the majority of the bowling. Whether this is due to a lack of urgency, or simply the fact that they had at least 1 medium/fast bowler operating 95% of the time, it shouldn't be excusable.
Yet you neglect to mention a day when Warne bowls 27 overs, but they still run well over?

A day when only 3 wickets fell as well, so that's no excuse...

Neither side were getting through the overs.

Johnners

Yet you neglect to mention a day when Warne bowls 27 overs, but they still run well over?

A day when only 3 wickets fell as well, so that's no excuse...

Neither side were getting through the overs.
If your talking about day 1 at adelaide, you'll see quite clearly Australia bowled 90 overs.

Anyway, it's not my point, i couldn't care less who does it, it should be a punishable offence.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, they bowled the 90 overs, but not within the 6 hours.

And if you couldn't care less, why did you specify "any day this ashes series where the english team was doing the majority of the bowling" ?

Johnners

No they didn't bowl them in the alloted 6 hours, but they easily bowled them with extra half-hour. Something England was unable to do most times...

In any case... it was an example... get over it