Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What are you looking forward to in 2007 ?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Going to the WC in March is defintely something I am looking forward to in 2007.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    I wouldn't trade the world cup 83 win for any thing India has achieved in the test arena. Nothing comes close to 1983.
    Agreed. That is partially due to the fact that India hasn't really achieved too much in the test arena, unfortunately. The '83 World Cup victory was our true moment of glory partially because we hadn't had too many dominant or glorious moments before that.
    Last edited by adharcric; 04-01-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    It's true that the cream tends to rise to the top in tournaments like the World Cup, meaning that the best team does generally win the tournament and can claim a level of superiority on that basis. However, given the way international cricket stands presently, a team must beat several mediocre and merely good teams to get the honour of beating the best team and claiming the title. It means that every game is important to the ultimate success, but it doesn't mean that each individual victory is an oustanding reflection of the team's quality.

A Test series against the cream that has already risen to the top - Australia, or England in England, India in India etc. - is a greater measure of the quality of a team. And victory in such a series is a stronger claim to bragging rights and superiority. It's 5 gruelling days of cricket when one outstanding period of play or one bad period of play isn't generally the deciding factor of a match.
    Spot on. Conquering Australia in their backyard is definitely a greater challenge than winning the World Cup, but the latter has a unique charm to it. In essence, World Cup champions have defeated every other nation and truly made a claim to superiority. Although defeating the world champions in their backyard is a remarkable achievement and practically suggests that you are the best since you've defeated the best, a World Cup victory has it's own aura since you literally face all the nations on a grand stage and emerge on top. The former poses a greater challenge but both lead to a feeling of superiority in international cricket.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Nobody has won a test series in Australia since 1992/93. Nobody other than the West Indies has done it since the 1986/87 Ashes. Nobody other than the West Indies and England has ever done it.

There's no question that it's a far greater achievement than winning a World Cup, regardless of which form you prefer. Not to say the World Cup is insignificant, but in terms of difficulty it's just no contest.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Definitely. A World Cup victory still has its own charm to it though. As for which one I would prefer, that's tough. Before McWarne retired, it would be the victory in Australia easily. Now, it would be the victory in Australia by a decent margin. I wouldn't call it a no contest in terms of what I would prefer, but certainly in terms of difficulty.
    Last edited by adharcric; 04-01-2007 at 01:08 AM.

getting back to cricket

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Nobody has won a test series in Australia since 1992/93. Nobody other than the West Indies has done it since the 1986/87 Ashes. Nobody other than the West Indies and England has ever done it.

There's no question that it's a far greater achievement than winning a World Cup, regardless of which form you prefer. Not to say the World Cup is insignificant, but in terms of difficulty it's just no contest.
    NZ 1985/86 - it was painful, but it happened. One RJ Hadlee almost single-handedly ripped us apart, with a little help from Martin Crowe.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    NZ 1985/86 - it was painful, but it happened. One RJ Hadlee almost single-handedly ripped us apart, with a little help from Martin Crowe.
    Yeah, forgot about that one. Regardless, nobody has done it in what will be 15 seasons by the time India arrive, so it would be a fair accomplishment.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    In fact, no one wins in England either, at least recently. Even that is a huge achievement, bigger than the WC. Hell, for the Indian team, winning in WI was a bigger achievement even though everyone wins there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Cant wait for the Windies tests!! might be goin to the lords test but am deff goin to the durham 3rd tes!! cant wait!
    Also i cant wait to get back to playin cricket again!!
    Where's my money?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information