• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you looking forward to in 2007 ?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Winning the WC, honestly, isn't that easy. Let's face it, Australia are destined to win the WC again. And to get past them is, IMO, quite an achievement.
And winning a Test series against Australia is harder than winning any ODI tournament. It's blatantly obvious, I'd think.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
And winning a Test series against Australia is harder than winning any ODI tournament. It's blatantly obvious, I'd think.
It is I agree, but like Pratyush said... nothing comes close to 83'. And winning another WC would be, IMO, a great achievment and one that I'll treasure more than a Test series win in Australia.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wouldn't trade the world cup 83 win for any thing India has achieved in the test arena. Nothing comes close to 1983.
Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't a double edged sword. Yes it shot up interest, but it also shot up ODI interest a lot more than Test, and it leads us to this day where were play a seven game ODI series against England and only three tests.

Would have preferred lesser interests if it meant playing a lot more tests than we do.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is I agree, but like Pratyush said... nothing comes close to 83'.
Must be a cultural difference then, because West Indians much sooner forget the dominance of the early World Cups than the Test match dominance of the time. Achievements in Test cricket are infinitely better than those in ODI cricket, because whilst both require great skill for success, the level of difficulty to win a Test match is so much greater. Whereas so often we see upsets in ODI cricket, the better Test team is usually the winner of a Test match, which to me shows that it's a truer reflection of the sport itself.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is I agree, but like Pratyush said... nothing comes close to 83'. And winning another WC would be, IMO, a great achievment and one that I'll treasure more than a Test series win in Australia.
The 1983 win did a lot for Indian cricket. I doubt if another world cup win would have that much of an impact. Winning a test series in Australia would easily rank higher than winning another world cup.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Achievements in Test cricket are infinitely better than those in ODI cricket, because whilst both require great skill for success, the level of difficulty to win a Test much is so much greater. Whereas so often we see upsets in ODI cricket, the better Test team is usually the winner of a Test match, which to me shows that it's a truer reflection of the sport itself.
Agree 100%.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, if I come to think of it maybe yes maybe I'll take a Test series win in Australia rather than WC win.

But nothing else... a draw in Australia, a win in England, nothing of that sort would I want us to achieve instead of a WC.

But, as I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and opinions do vary.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Actually, if I come to think of it maybe yes maybe I'll take a Test series win in Australia rather than WC win.

But nothing else... a draw in Australia, a win in England, nothing of that sort would I want us to achieve instead of a WC.

But, as I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and opinions do vary.
A WIN in England? No one has won in England recently, not even Australia. A WIN in England would be beyond measure, surpassed only by a win in Australia.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Must be a cultural difference then, because West Indians much sooner forget the dominance of the early World Cups than the Test match dominance of the time. Achievements in Test cricket are infinitely better than those in ODI cricket, because whilst both require great skill for success, the level of difficulty to win a Test much is so much greater. Whereas so often we see upsets in ODI cricket, the better Test team is usually the winner of a Test match, which to me shows that it's a truer reflection of the sport itself.
Yep, what he said. Top post.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Must be a cultural difference then
I wouldn't put it down to culture. It has more to do with the cricket histories of the respective countries. 83 was a huge milestone and did a lot for Indian cricket. When we look at West Indies cricket history, obviously the test domination was the biggest achievement.

For a general cricket fan, various crickets would have various degrees of importance but generally culture cannot be put down to separate what is more valuable. Test cricket is the way more important cricket - the more ardent followers from all cricket nations will vouch.

I value test cricket more but I value the 1983 one day world cup win more than India's test cricket victories of the past and it is not because of culture.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
A WIN in England? No one has won in England recently, not even Australia. A WIN in England would be beyond measure, surpassed only by a win in Australia.
Nah, once again many would like a win in England rather than a WC, but to me WC is just that, the biggest stage in world cricket.

Also, I agree I am not a purist and that's why tend to favour the WC over test victories.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, once again many would like a win in England rather than a WC, but to me WC is just that, the biggest stage in world cricket.

Also, I agree I am not a purist and that's why tend to favour the WC over test victories.
Again, a string of ODI wins is nowhere near the effort required to win in a place like Australia, or England.

Like I said, its upto you what you hold more important, but the effort and ability required is not even close.