• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LBW Outside the line

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Is there a reason that LBW's outside the line of off stump aren't given? Seems a bit of a mindless rule to me, I understand why balls pitched outside leg aren't out, but I don't get this one.

LBW's are hard to get in any event, with everything horribly skewed towards the batsman, it just seems a bit unfair that the ball has to hit on the line of the stumps as well, which means that it the delivery is swinging like a demon or sharply turning, it's usually going to miss the stumps if it hits in line and then not out.

The exception when not playing a shot is a tacit admission that it's a crap rule. It's also infuriating that umpires continue to play into the whole bat behind that pad non-shot that batsmen play way too often.

Dravid

International Captain
Uh, it's LBWs that are HIT outside the line of off stump. Not that land outside the line of stump. And it makes sense

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Ja, I know it's hit outside the line, sorry.

So why does it make sense? You can't just state that it does and then not say anything else.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Because most likely it will miss the stumps.
What? That's one of the most poorly constructed arguments of all time, ever, period. Inswing or off-spin bowling from over the wicket will hit a batsman outside the line and be going on to hit far more often than the same type of bowling if it hits in line, as it will be going down leg.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed. I'm starting to wonder just how much cricket Dravid has watched in his lifetime.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm with nexxus on this one - it's always seemed an odd rule to me. If nothing else, it would do away with batsmen planting their bats behind their pads to get away with the current ruling.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dravid - not fooling anyone. ;) It`s alright to admit a blunder man, you`ll never make more than me anyway. :D

I believe a ball hitting a batsman outside off-stump and hitting the stumps should be out LBW. But I`m for balls pitching outside leg-stump being ruled not-out.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Because most likely it will miss the stumps.
What? That's one of the most poorly constructed arguments of all time, ever, period. Inswing or off-spin bowling from over the wicket will hit a batsman outside the line and be going on to hit far more often than the same type of bowling if it hits in line, as it will be going down leg.
Neil, You dont have my self-control . :) I read that, counted to ten and then moved on. Didnt quite know how to answer