Bangladesh being competitive in the 1st Test against Australia;
    Monty Panesar
    South Africa v Australia 5th ODI
    Warne getting 700 - it had it to happen

Ruined:

England not being competitive enough against Australia in the Ashes
    Wasim Raja
    Sir Clive Walcott
    The PCB handling over the drug tests of Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammed Asif, I have lost all respect for them and it shows they are not keen on stamping out drugs in sport if this is their attitude
    The Ball Tampering fiasco
    Fardin passing away
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

The Best
    - Bangladesh giving Australia a scare in a test match
    - The emergence of Monty Panesar and Sreesanth
    - India finally winning in the West Indies
    - CW rising to new heights
    - Classy Farewell for Warne and McGrath

The Worst
    - Dhoni's double-suicide attempts at Mumbai
    - No competition in the Ashes
    - Ovalgate, especially Darrell Hair
    - The Akhtar-Asif Drug Scandal
    - Chappell-Ganguly Saga - Part II

We have too many 2006 threads

ive never seen an 06 thread like this i like looking back on the year in this way

Imo

The Best
    The Ashes build up - The months building up to the first ball at the Gabba were insane.
    India winning a Test for the first time in SA - Historic
    Aussie champions leaving on a high
    Champions Trophy not being a run-fest and being rather enjoyable
    Mike Hussey
    Jason Gillespie 201*
    Ford Ranger Cup - domestic one-dayers have been amazing

The Worst
    Dean Jones being a tool
    Ovalgate - seems people wanted to make it into more of a controversy than it should have been.
    The drama on the CT podium - blown way out of proportion.
    Border quitting from the selection panel because of a marketing campaign - dire as.
    Mick Lewis
    English selectors and their decisions leading up to and throughout the Ashes
    Last edited by pasag; 02-01-2007 at 04:44 AM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Agree with Passag, probably would add Asif and Shoaib drug scandal there as well.

Best:
    - Indians getting seamers in Munaf and Sree who have at least showed a lot of promise
    - Jayawardene leading SL with style, looking like a very good captain.
    - Sanga and Jayawardene record breaking partnership

Worst:
    - First two tests of the Pakistan vs. India test series. After so many good test series from 99-2005, to have two dead tests like that was disgusting.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Best

Samit Patel Breaking through and making his mark for Notts. A string of half centuries, a powerful 150, and even a few wickets every other game have seen him establish himself as not only as a Notts regular, but an England hopeful too.

Monty Panesar taking his first wicket. From there, you just knew you had something special.

624 run partnership between Jayawardene and Sangakkara. It ripped the record books apart and was a special moment, in the history of cricket

South Africa beating Australia in that ODI

Worst

The relegation of NCCC
    The Ashes Drubbing
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Best
    Shahriar Nafees' 138 on the opening day in Fatullah - the dream was alive and kicking.
    Monty!
    The day Australia and South Africa decided not to bother with the Super Sub for their ODI series.
    Mohammad Yousuf - deserved success.
    Sangakkara and Jayawardene - one of the few batting records that cannot really be put down to a flatbed track.

Worst
    Jason Gillespie - 201*. Shouldn't have happened. Bangladesh's bowlers are certainly good enough to deny him a fifty, let alone a double-ton.
    The Oval - a sad day for cricket.
    Just about every ODI England played.
    England's Ashes preparations (and in general, every two-day, twelve-a-side warmup match. The ICC should step in.)
    The first two India v Pakistan Tests - overkill meets pitches that may as well have been made of concrete.

U19 Vice-Captain pietersenrocks's Avatar
    Yousuf was the best in Tests.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    - The emergence of Monty Panesar and Sreesanth
    To what extent has Sreesanth emerged? He's been quite inconsistent in ODIs and had a couple of excellent Tests. I wouldn't call it an emergence, because I still think he's on the verge of emerging.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    To what extent has Sreesanth emerged? He's been quite inconsistent in ODIs and had a couple of excellent Tests. I wouldn't call it an emergence, because I still think he's on the verge of emerging.
    Not to mention his mental breakdown in WI, and his often waywardness even in current tests (coupled with excellent bowling other times). So he still has to show me something over the next year before I call him the real deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    For a second I thought your were quoting me and I made sure I carefully worded my statement regarding those bowlers.

To be fair to adharcric, it all depends on how one defines 'emergence'. Technically Pathan emerged as the leading Indian bowler in 2004, he just was never that good, but he still 'emerged'.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Not to mention his mental breakdown in WI, and his often waywardness even in current tests (coupled with excellent bowling other times). So he still has to show me something over the next year before I call him the real deal.
    Because Brett Lee, Andre Nel, Harmison and other test bowlers don't have wayward spells?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    To be fair to adharcric, it all depends on how one defines 'emergence'. Technically Pathan emerged as the leading Indian bowler in 2004, he just was never that good, but he still 'emerged'.
    I wouldn't group him with Panesar then, because Panesar's accomplishments have come with a bit more consistency. Granted, they've only been in Tests. Also, I'd much sooner say that Munaf Patel emerged in Indian cricket than Sreesanth did. Patel was impressive far more often.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Because Brett Lee, Andre Nel, Harmison and other test bowlers don't have wayward spells?
    ???

Of course they do, but I can't say that a player has emerged without having a larger body of work to look at. And even in the 1st test, Sreesanth was impressive and then lost it for a bit before becoming impressive again. And I can't just forget the mental breakdown in WI.

He has to show me for longer.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information