• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worse of 2006?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So in modern day cricket, to be test class you have to bowl consistent spells? No, that makes you a very good bowler, it doesn't necessarily make you a test class bowler.

Lee may take 2-20 in his first 8 over spell with the new ball, then in his second spell have 0-35 from 4, then come back and snag a wicket just before the end of play in his last spell of 1-12 off 5. The next day he finishes off the tail with a short spell but leaked a few runs, with figures of 1-25 from 4.
No, I don't mean 4/4 of his spells must be consistent. I mean, he should be consistent over a period of (example) 15 tests, bowling good spells in most of those games. A few bad spells are ok, if they are made up by other great spells, but you need to keep it up for a lot more than 2 test matches.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Best:

Bangladesh dominating Australia for three days.
Asif making Pietersen his bunny.
Yousuf breaking Viv's record.
Monty's emergence.
Karachi 2006
Kandy 2006
Good contests in CT.
Rana Naved finally getting his groove back.
Discovery of Abdur Rehman.
Taylor's hat trick.

Worst:

Ovalgate
Doping scandal for the pace duo
Everything else that's wrong with PCB.
The lack of contest in the Ashes, even though I wanted England to lose.
The first two tests of Indo-Pak series.
Old Trafford 2006.
The injuries Pakistani players have suffered.

adharcric

International Coach
To what extent has Sreesanth emerged? He's been quite inconsistent in ODIs and had a couple of excellent Tests. I wouldn't call it an emergence, because I still think he's on the verge of emerging.
Emergence doesn't imply becoming a world-class bowler. Monty is still far from being world-class, but he and Sreesanth have both shown plenty of promise throughout the year. Sreesanth has lost it in a few matches but still managed to have several bright moments this year: 1st test vs England, two-match series vs Pakistan, final test vs WI, DLF ODI vs Australia, first two tests vs SA. More than enough for an "emergence", really. Sreesanth, Panesar, Munaf, Taylor and Clark are five bowlers who have emerged this year, but none of them are world-class yet.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I wouldn't group him with Panesar then, because Panesar's accomplishments have come with a bit more consistency. Granted, they've only been in Tests. Also, I'd much sooner say that Munaf Patel emerged in Indian cricket than Sreesanth did. Patel was impressive far more often.
Patel was quite impressive, but I was taking their origins into account as well. Patel has been highly touted for the last 3-4 years now, while Sreesanth came out of nowhere, was spotted by the management, impressed in the Challenger matches and now he really looks to belong at the highest level.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Best -
Dizzy's 201*.....marvellous
Gilchrist vs Nel....lesson in when not to sledge
Dean Jones being a tool (quote, unquote pasag) and then pretending he was talking about someone else.
Ponting's steely eyed intensity

Worst -
Dean Jones being a tool (thanks very much pasag)
Greg Ritchie being a tool (old cricketers never die...)
The sad decline of Simon Katich
Duncan Fletcher - "hey don't blame me! I wasn't the only one picking the team! Just ask Geraint"

average2poor

Cricket Spectator
Gilchrists 58 ball hundred was amazing to watch. And as a kiwi the selection of Ross Taylor for New Zealand ( at last) was a highlight personally. As for worst.....the Hair debarcle and the Akhtar, Asif drug scandal stand out.

adharcric

International Coach
What does a player emerge to? Surely it's emergence to world class. Therefore yes, emergence is becoming a world class bowler.
Nope. Are you telling me that all but 25-30 international cricketers (who are world-class) haven't emerged at all? Very often, a player emerges when he shows that he belongs.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope. Are you telling me that all but 25-30 international cricketers (who are world-class) haven't emerged at all? Very often, a player emerges when he shows that he belongs.
You're aware of the meaning of "becoming", right? Go revise your tenses.

R_D

International Debutant
What does a player emerge to? Surely it's emergence to world class. Therefore yes, emergence is becoming a world class bowler.
You must have different meaning of emergence than, mostly when someone syas he's emerged as bowler.. i usually think of it as he's showing that he belongs to this level. It doesn't mean he'll be world class but showing signs that he belongs at this level.

PottedMustard

Cricket Spectator
Best:

South Africa beating a smug Australian team in Johannesburg
Mick Lewis
Monty Panesar
England demolishing Pakistan 3-0
McGrath announcing his retirement
MoYo

Worst:

England failing in Australia
Pakistan and the PCB
Shoaib Akhtar & Mohammed Asif
The ICC's failure to support Hair in the face of lumbering Pakistan opposition
The decision of other test nations to support Pakistan in their quest for Hair's dismissal
The erosion of the umpire's authority to the extent that teams can now pick and choose the umpires.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Best:

• Aussies owning South Africa and destroying Graeme Smith
  • India owning SA in the first Test
  • India's first series in in WI for 30+ years
  • Gilly's 56 ball century
  • Hussey/Panesar/Sreesanth

Worst:
  • Fletcher
  • England being horrible in Australia
  • Darrel Hair, the complete moron