• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies, I wonder why 4.....

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Am I the only one here wondering why 4 of Australia's top players have announced their retirement in the same month?
I realise it might be to end their careers on a high note. After an Ashes win. (Whitewash:ph34r: ).
But it is also just before a world cup.
They are surely weakening the team considerably.
Don't they care anymore about a winning team because they're not in it?
Are these retirements selfish decisions, in that respect?
Wouldn't it have been better for the team if the retirements were staggered over a few months or until after the world cup?
I'm just asking, not saying my questions are truth.
What do other members think?

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Well, McGrath is playing the World Cup, Langer and Warne don't play ODIs, and Martyn might have been dropped anyway. So no, not really.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Martyn retired because he realised he was past his peak and was about to be dropped anyway.

Warne and McGrath are retiring because they're only going to get worse over the next couple of years, and having just regained the Ashes they've pretty much done everything.

Langer is similar in a way to Martyn in that he's had an average series and knows there's a good chance he might get replaced when Aus play India (i think it is) in 11 months time and so would rather leave now on a high than be dropped.

Stumped

Banned
No retirement is selfish, it is better for them to reitre then us telling them to reitre. They have no contract or obligation to stay until the world cup.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
If anyones to blame for a mass exodus in one go its the selecters only. They had the chance to blood new people slowly over 2-3 series but choose (understandably) to let great players play till the end. Cant blame the player though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think its to do with their age, and the fact that all of those players would feel they have little left to achieve in the sport. I suspect Warne's sentiments about having earlier thought about retiring, but wanting to stay on long enough to avenge the 2005 Ashes defeat would be relevant to all of the players, except maybe Martyn, who had other issues. Langer might not have realised until he made the decision how much the "getting the Ashes back" factor was the only thing keeping him motivated to get up.

The other thing is the long lay-off, especially for the guys who don't play ODIs. No tests for 10 months is a long time to try and keep your competitive edge when you're the wrong side of 35.

For the record, I think Gilchrist, and maybe Hayden, will join the exodus once the World Cup is over, although I hope Hayden in particular stays on for at least one more Australian summer to help Jaques settle into the opening role....

pasag

RTDAS
Martyn retired because he realised he was past his peak and was about to be dropped anyway.

Warne and McGrath are retiring because they're only going to get worse over the next couple of years, and having just regained the Ashes they've pretty much done everything.

Langer is similar in a way to Martyn in that he's had an average series and knows there's a good chance he might get replaced when Aus play India (i think it is) in 11 months time and so would rather leave now on a high than be dropped.
No way, I don't think that had anything to do with it. He's 36 and realised it's the perfect time to go. There's no way, imo, that he wanted to play on but thought he'd get dropped, so he thought it's better to jump than be pushed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting to see Langer is going to play a season of county cricket now - better $ on offer?

Armsty

Cricket Spectator
The only affect this will have on the Australian ODI team is the fact that Martyn, who is/will be dropped, won't be avaliable. Warne had retired from ODI's a while ago, Langer was struggling to even make the Australia A team if I remember correctly and McGrath will still be playing in the world cup.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Interesting to see Langer is going to play a season of county cricket now - better $ on offer?
I think i saw somewhere how he still wanted to play for his state side after giving up test cricket. Obviously if he's gonna do that he may as well play in England during the Australian Winter.

adharcric

International Coach
No way, I don't think that had anything to do with it. He's 36 and realised it's the perfect time to go. There's no way, imo, that he wanted to play on but thought he'd get dropped, so he thought it's better to jump than be pushed.
Agreed. Martyn was hanging by a thread in both the test and one-day sides, so his decision makes sense in that regard. Langer wasn't getting dropped anytime soon though, especially with Jaques' form reeling of late. JL decided to call it a day because he has achieved enough, gotten the Ashes back and has a 10-month break to look forward to.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Martyn was the most selfless decision of the three. Watson was injured so Martyn was guaranteed to play the 3rd Test at home in Perth. Furthermore he was still a certainty in the ODI squad and would probably have retained his place by the time of the World Cup. However, he knew he wasn't contributing how he should and that it was best if he got out instead of Australia carrying dead wood.

It's definitely not the selectors fault for not staggering it either. All they could have done is encourage Warne to keep playing. They're hardly going to drop McGrath, Warne or Langer and tell them to retire. The Ashes was the # 1 priority.

ripper868

International Coach
Interesting to note that warne is going to play 2 more seasons of county cricket.

i feel each of the players have retired at the right time, before being told to go, which i think COULD only have occured in martyns sake.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only one here wondering why 4 of Australia's top players have announced their retirement in the same month?
It's obviously to ensure this doesn't happen again. Someone else can beat England. It's not that hard.