Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aussies, I wonder why 4.....

Aussies, I wonder why 4.....

Am I the only one here wondering why 4 of Australia's top players have announced their retirement in the same month?
    I realise it might be to end their careers on a high note. After an Ashes win. (Whitewash ).
    But it is also just before a world cup.
    They are surely weakening the team considerably.
    Don't they care anymore about a winning team because they're not in it?
    Are these retirements selfish decisions, in that respect?
    Wouldn't it have been better for the team if the retirements were staggered over a few months or until after the world cup?
    I'm just asking, not saying my questions are truth.
    What do other members think?

No one besides Martyn plays ODI

International Vice-Captain
    Well, McGrath is playing the World Cup, Langer and Warne don't play ODIs, and Martyn might have been dropped anyway. So no, not really.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea, the ODI outfit is relatively unchanged.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    IMO, it was a perfect time for the four to retire.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Martyn retired because he realised he was past his peak and was about to be dropped anyway.

Warne and McGrath are retiring because they're only going to get worse over the next couple of years, and having just regained the Ashes they've pretty much done everything.

Langer is similar in a way to Martyn in that he's had an average series and knows there's a good chance he might get replaced when Aus play India (i think it is) in 11 months time and so would rather leave now on a high than be dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I think it's a conspiracy. I blame Flintoff and Fletcher.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

No retirement is selfish, it is better for them to reitre then us telling them to reitre. They have no contract or obligation to stay until the world cup.

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    If anyones to blame for a mass exodus in one go its the selecters only. They had the chance to blood new people slowly over 2-3 series but choose (understandably) to let great players play till the end. Cant blame the player though.

I think its to do with their age, and the fact that all of those players would feel they have little left to achieve in the sport. I suspect Warne's sentiments about having earlier thought about retiring, but wanting to stay on long enough to avenge the 2005 Ashes defeat would be relevant to all of the players, except maybe Martyn, who had other issues. Langer might not have realised until he made the decision how much the "getting the Ashes back" factor was the only thing keeping him motivated to get up.

The other thing is the long lay-off, especially for the guys who don't play ODIs. No tests for 10 months is a long time to try and keep your competitive edge when you're the wrong side of 35.

For the record, I think Gilchrist, and maybe Hayden, will join the exodus once the World Cup is over, although I hope Hayden in particular stays on for at least one more Australian summer to help Jaques settle into the opening role....
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Martyn retired because he realised he was past his peak and was about to be dropped anyway.

Warne and McGrath are retiring because they're only going to get worse over the next couple of years, and having just regained the Ashes they've pretty much done everything.

Langer is similar in a way to Martyn in that he's had an average series and knows there's a good chance he might get replaced when Aus play India (i think it is) in 11 months time and so would rather leave now on a high than be dropped.
    No way, I don't think that had anything to do with it. He's 36 and realised it's the perfect time to go. There's no way, imo, that he wanted to play on but thought he'd get dropped, so he thought it's better to jump than be pushed.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Interesting to see Langer is going to play a season of county cricket now - better $ on offer?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Interesting to see Langer is going to play a season of county cricket now - better $ on offer?
    Doubtful. CA pays their cricketers a lot more than counties would pay theirs.

The only affect this will have on the Australian ODI team is the fact that Martyn, who is/will be dropped, won't be avaliable. Warne had retired from ODI's a while ago, Langer was struggling to even make the Australia A team if I remember correctly and McGrath will still be playing in the world cup.

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I think i saw somewhere how he still wanted to play for his state side after giving up test cricket. Obviously if he's gonna do that he may as well play in England during the Australian Winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information