• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Warne have Captained Australia?

Should Warne have Captained Australia?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stumped

Banned
There is much speculation about whether Shane should have captained Australia. But what are your views?

adharcric

International Coach
Stumped said:
There is much speculation about whether Shane should have captained Australia.
Is there? No, he shouldn't have captained Australia. He had too many off-the-field issues to take care of.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The best captain Australia never had, in tests at least. He did captain a few ODIs when he was VC under Waugh. Off-field issues obviously got in the way, which is a shame, but Waugh did a good job so you can't say Australia missed out on too much.

Stumped

Banned
But really does it matter about his off-field dramas to be captain? As long as he performs on the field does it matter? Currently im watching the Goodbye Warnie and Beefy commented on how good of a captain warne would have made

oz_fan

International Regular
He definitely had the ability and the tactical knowledge to be a captain. He would have been a great captain possibly one of the best ever but it is understandable why due to all the off field dramas he never became captain.

Stumped

Banned
oz_fan said:
He definitely had the ability and the tactical knowledge to be a captain. He would have been a great captain possibly one of the best ever but it is understandable why due to all the off field dramas he never became captain.
but why do the off-field dramas matter is there some icc rule or something?

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think he would be a great captain to have when Australia are going through a mass changing of personel because he could help the younger players(Or new players) not be fazed by test cricket, though that's hypothetical to the max.

luffy

International Captain
He would of made a great captain but his behaviour off the field was disgusting.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
but does his off field dramas really matter towards the captaincy?
The captain is the face of Australian cricket. With Warne there always was a chance of something embrassing happening. Ponting had cleaned up his act for a while before he was appointed.

Warne would have made a great captain but would he have played as long because of the demands of the job.

pasag

RTDAS
but does his off field dramas really matter towards the captaincy?
Of course they do. Being a captain is so much more than anything off feild. You're the face and image of your team and as they say it's the second most important job in Australia. Being a good role model is essential.

Just have a look at Wayne Carey and Ben Cousins in the AFL who both brought their teams into disrepute with their indescretions. If Warne was ever captain and didn't clean up his act (although I think he would have tbh) Australian cricket would be in turmoil I reckon.

Stumped

Banned
The captain is the face of Australian cricket. With Warne there always was a chance of something embrassing happening. Ponting had cleaned up his act for a while before he was appointed.

Warne would have made a great captain but would he have played as long because of the demands of the job.
in my eyes his off-field dramas wouldnt matter to his captaincy but i can see y other people would

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was definately good enough on the field, but not enough of a role model for the younger kids growing up. If he had set a better example then maybe he would've.

flemster98

Cricket Spectator
I think that being captain is just an image thing for the team and Shane Warne did not have one due to his off field antics. On the field though he would have had an opinion in almost every decision. Being captain is just merely a label which makes you the face of a team, it doesn't mean that your are the only one who makes the decisions.

Not very well said but i think you get my point