• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Warne have Captained Australia?

Should Warne have Captained Australia?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Off field aspects didn't mean he brought shame to the baggy green when he wore it as a test player. So why should people have been so apprehensive regarding him harming the image of the Australian test captain? If Warne showed any thing in his career - it was rising to the challenge and delivering. Shane Keith Warne had a great sense of occassion and pride in representing Australia. We can never be sure how good a captain some one will become eventually for a lot of factors apart from the cricket brain does come into play. However, based on the limited chances we had of viewing Shane Warne captain Australia and the peak into his cricket mind we had even when he was not captaining Australia (by offering inputs to the captain), I have little doubt that the cricket world missed out on viewing a superb captain - possibly a great where captaincy is concerned.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Warney's been my favorite player since Waugh retired, but I was pretty happy with Steve Waugh as captain - he was aggressive, brought his own style, and was a natural leader of men that just about everybody, locally and overseas, respected (and not just in terms of his cricketing ability). Although Warne's marital indiscretions are pretty irrelevant to me in general (the possible harrassment case excepted), he's had his fair share of incidents over the years, and by the time Waugh was leaving and an opening might have existed, he'd gotten busted using a prohibited substance, which should have, and probably did, exclude him from contention, if he hadn't been already.

As to his captaincy skills, no doubt he was capable, and he definitely exhibits a great cricketing brain with the ball in his hand, but we never really saw that much of him in action. I've always felt it's been a barrow that Chappelli's relentlessly pushed for years, that's worked it's way into popular orthodoxy. Maybe it's true, I'm just not as completely convinced as everybody else seems to be - it's a difficult job, and I'm not completely sold on his man management abilities. Tactically, he'd likely have been superior to Ponting, though as people have been pointing out, Ponting's shown definite improvement over the last year or so.

Dover 1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Shane Warne as we all know has been and still is a great player and a very good ambassador for australia and the game of cricket in general.Depite this I think he should not have been captain because in my opinion he does not show that mental discipline needed when things are not going well.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Warney's been my favorite player since Waugh retired, but I was pretty happy with Steve Waugh as captain - he was aggressive, brought his own style, and was a natural leader of men that just about everybody, locally and overseas, respected (and not just in terms of his cricketing ability). Although Warne's marital indiscretions are pretty irrelevant to me in general (the possible harrassment case excepted), he's had his fair share of incidents over the years, and by the time Waugh was leaving and an opening might have existed, he'd gotten busted using a prohibited substance, which should have, and probably did, exclude him from contention, if he hadn't been already.

As to his captaincy skills, no doubt he was capable, and he definitely exhibits a great cricketing brain with the ball in his hand, but we never really saw that much of him in action. I've always felt it's been a barrow that Chappelli's relentlessly pushed for years, that's worked it's way into popular orthodoxy. Maybe it's true, I'm just not as completely convinced as everybody else seems to be - it's a difficult job, and I'm not completely sold on his man management abilities. Tactically, he'd likely have been superior to Ponting, though as people have been pointing out, Ponting's shown definite improvement over the last year or so.
Agree with every ounce of that.

PrincePeiterson

Cricket Spectator
I can just imagine the headlines!

Australian Captain Begs Stranger For Oral *** Just Days Before Ashes

Aussie Captain Nailed Me on My Car Says Model

Aussie Captain Sends Randy Texts To Models While Playing Test

Aussie Captains Wife Leaves After Becoming Sick Of His Constant Tabloid ***capades

No one would dispute he knew how to play the game, but being captain is about much more than that. The captain represents the best a side has to offer in terms of leadership, responsibility, attitude, commitment and morallity. They are expected to behave in a manner beffitting civilized man and they are looked upto as the ultimate rolemodels for kids from 5 years old to 18 years old.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Warne as we all know has been and still is a great player and a very good ambassador for australia and the game of cricket in general.Depite this I think he should have been captain because in my opinion he does not show that mental discipline needed when things are not going well.
As a tangent from this particular debate, welcome to the boards mate. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Off field aspects didn't mean he brought shame to the baggy green when he wore it as a test player. So why should people have been so apprehensive regarding him harming the image of the Australian test captain? If Warne showed any thing in his career - it was rising to the challenge and delivering. Shane Keith Warne had a great sense of occassion and pride in representing Australia. We can never be sure how good a captain some one will become eventually for a lot of factors apart from the cricket brain does come into play. However, based on the limited chances we had of viewing Shane Warne captain Australia and the peak into his cricket mind we had even when he was not captaining Australia (by offering inputs to the captain), I have little doubt that the cricket world missed out on viewing a superb captain - possibly a great where captaincy is concerned.
Yeah I agree totally.

Dover 1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I agree totally , being a good captain means much more than being a good batsman or bowler.Good captains are leaders both on and off the field. As such that is where the aspect of being a good role model really comes to the surface.
We all have or have had some sort of skeleton in our closet. but too would not want my son following in the footsteps of any athlete with really bad personal morals.

PrincePeiterson

Cricket Spectator
Shane Warne has only himself to blame. If he could have kept it in his pants and out of the tabloids he probably would have been made the captain. He made his choice and he doesnt seem too concerned about. No problem.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Yes - at the time I was surprised he didn't become the ODI captain when they dropped S Waugh in 2002. That was his chance. By the time the Test captaincy became vacant Shane was just back from his ban and the 2003 WC had enhanced Ponting's reputation. He could have been as good as Benaud (as a captain I mean)