• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen - not batters!!!

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
:@

To all those on the forum that don't realise there is a difference between cricket and baseball terminology: the two men that hold bats out in the middle are called BATSMEN. I am sick of seeing them referred to as batters, which is a term borrowed from baseball and adopted by people that watch too much ESPN!

Sure, you might say that certain cricketers and commentators say 'Batters', but that simply means these cricketers, past and present, are also at fault.

It's like going to the local takeaway shop and asking for chips with tomato sauce on them only to have an American behind the counter asking, "Don't you mean 'French Fries and Ketchup?'

adharcric

International Coach
Will Scarlet said:
It's like going to the local takeaway shop and asking for chips with tomato sauce on them only to have an American behind the counter asking, "Don't you mean 'French Fries and Ketchup?'
The American is spot on, tbh.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we're clearing up terminology, I'd like every single Australian cricket fan to realise that Stuart Clark and Michael Clarke do indeed have different last names.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Stephen Fleming is another interesting one. I see too many instances of "Steven" and "Flemming" around.

Oh, and lets not forget the whole Vaughan/Vaughn thing. Especially Stumped. :p

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
Stephen Fleming is another interesting one. I see too many instances of "Steven" and "Flemming" around.

Oh, and lets not forget the whole Vaughan/Vaughn thing. Especially Stumped. :p
All these mistakes you pointed out, I use to make.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Chris Cairns, Jacques Kallis, and Murili (well pretty much all off the Asian players' names) have all had their names butchered by the Channel 9 commentary team.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
If he gets a gig in the international arena, Moises Henriques will be a name butchered by every commentator for years to come.

Saying Henriques is like attempting calculus to Geoff Lawson. 'Moysis Onreekays.'