• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen - not batters!!!

Dover 1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This may sound frivolous , but if we are gonna be strict about terms and pronunciations whether borrowed or not ,then this should apply:- if in cricket the man in the middle with the bat should under no circumstances be called a batter but a batsman then the man with the ball might be called a ballman:dry: :laugh: :cool:

Dover 1

I agree . Thats why I said we shouldn't be so strict. Sometimes I call them batsmen ,sometimes I call them batters.I have no problem one way or the other. I guess for some of us it comes down to which term rolls of the tongue better therefore making it easier to say.

Personally I think this is a non-issue.

Dover 1

To end all debate we should just say " in comes the man with the ball , passes the man with the light meter and bowles to the man with bat who smashes it over mid-wicket for--- for ---- the man with light meter signals six:laugh: :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Jimmy Anderson use the term 'batter' in the post game interview after Aus beat England in the most recent ODI.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is that the first time "batter" has been used on this tour when its not been referring to the match result?

pasag

RTDAS
*Bump*

I think this is a losing cause with cricketers using the word in the media all the time now. Can't keep track of how many times I've heard it used in interviews, Ponting and Warne are the main offenders (Sangas uses it three times in this article), but there comes a time when the language and terminology will grow and borrow from other cultures (in this case another sport) and there's very little you can do about it.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Batsman = Batter

the same as

Policeman = Police Officer?

Batter sounds to American anyways, I hate it. Batsman and Batswoman, it should be.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
*Bump*

I think this is a losing cause with cricketers using the word in the media all the time now. Can't keep track of how many times I've heard it used in interviews, Ponting and Warne are the main offenders (Sangas uses it three times in this article), but there comes a time when the language and terminology will grow and borrow from other cultures (in this case another sport) and there's very little you can do about it.
Nah, keep fighting the good fight. I've made great strides with the CricSim mob on this, and if you can teach them, you can teach just about anyone. I think a similar filter needs to be applied here. :p