• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen - not batters!!!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Will Scarlet said:
Australians pronounce his name 'Canz', the same way as the city of the same spelling - and probably once pronounced the same before the locals butchered that.
With an Australian accent, there is actually no discernable difference from "Canz" and "Cairns." It is merely the accent and the range of sounds in the Australian dialect rather than a butchering. It would be like me whinging about New Zealanders not pronouncing the vowels properly in Australian cricketers' names...

Stumped

Banned
I dont see whats wrong with calling them batter. I no its a basball term but technically they really are batters, we say there batting so wats wrong with the batters?

adharcric

International Coach
I dont see whats wrong with calling them batter. I no its a basball term but technically they really are batters, we say there batting so wats wrong with the batters?
Batter sounds pretty lame tbh. This coming from an American.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
I'll stop saying batters when the Aussies start saying 53/0 instead of 0/53.
It looks and sounds so much better, I am hoping that Australia keeps it the same.

I have never noticed, or had a problem with people calling them a batsman, batters, etc. Its personal choice.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Australians pronounce his name 'Canz', the same way as the city of the same spelling - and probably once pronounced the same before the locals butchered that.
When Australians try to say Cairns, it sounds very much like a Kiwi is saying it. I thank the lord that we as a nation try to stay away from that god awful accent.

luffy

International Captain
:@

To all those on the forum that don't realise there is a difference between cricket and baseball terminology: the two men that hold bats out in the middle are called BATSMEN. I am sick of seeing them referred to as batters, which is a term borrowed from baseball and adopted by people that watch too much ESPN!

Sure, you might say that certain cricketers and commentators say 'Batters', but that simply means these cricketers, past and present, are also at fault.

It's like going to the local takeaway shop and asking for chips with tomato sauce on them only to have an American behind the counter asking, "Don't you mean 'French Fries and Ketchup?'

I would be 1 of plenty of people saying who cares??