Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So......was Richard Dickinson right about Harmo and Graeme Smith ?

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

So......was Richard Dickinson right about Harmo and Graeme Smith ?

Now if I can remember correctly, Richard always used to deride Harmison as overhyped and a 'lucky' bowler ....ie a bowler who got most of his wickets not thru his own skill but the batsmen gifting them away...

Richard also used to say that Graeme Smith was a great batsman in the making.....

Just wondering what people make of his views a year or so after he expressed them ?
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    He was certainly right about Harmison. I don't know about the "luck" element, but about him not being accurate enough to be a consistent success at test level. Obviously way off the mark about Smith though, who he called the best since Bradman.

It's worth remembering that Richard called heaps of bowlers lucky. Basically anyone who ever got wickets in any way other than with deliveries that swung two feet was lucky. McGrath was lucky because deliveries that seam 2-3 inches aren't any good because a batsman can "adjust" to that amount of movement. Mark Ealham on the other hand was brilliant because he swung the ball. Basically, his theories about bowling were totally warped and the fact that he was more or less correct about Harmison doesn't matter much.

Wonder where he is, anyway?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

So, Where is the great man (Richard) now ?

I have never been impressed with Greame Smith apart from the English tour in 2002 when he made those two double centuries. He doesn't seem to be making many runs lately and is on the verge imo of being dropped. I know its a pretty big call because he's captain but honestly he needs some runs.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I never really thought Richard understood enough about bowling...which is why he put a lot of player's successes down to luck. He was right about Harmison though, but it doesn't take Einstein to work out that with that action, and not enough application, things will go horribly wrong.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I never really thought Richard understood enough about bowling...which is why he put a lot of player's successes down to luck. He was right about Harmison though, but it doesn't take Einstein to work out that with that action, and not enough application, things will go horribly wrong.
    Yep. Let's not forget he (unironically) claimed to know more about Flintoff's bowling than Fred himself.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    Richard also used to say that Graeme Smith was a great batsman in the making.....
    Smith is only 25 years old, despite having played 50 Tests. His average is still over 47, and though he has struggled in recent times, he has also shown on occasion that he is capable of playing great innings. You surely can't write him off just yet.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

You definitely cannot write-off a 25 year old, who by the time is 28-32, will have immense experience under his belt.

What you can say for definite though is, he is not the best since Bradman. I remember when Richard finally admitted that wasn't the case, and that it was almost certain he wouldn't turn out that way, his response was "well, you can hardly blame me for thinking it at the time" or something along those lines. Yikes.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

It was a stupid thought at the time and a stupider one now, so I feel fully within my rights to blame him for thinking it.

International Coach
    To be fair... he was right about both of them IMO.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    To be fair... he was right about both of them IMO.
    That Smith was likely to be the best batsman since Bradman?

How can you say a 25-year-old batsman is not going to be great? And more to the point, may I get the lottery numbers?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Smith is a lot better player than most people give him credit for. He has a pretty good test record, and had to cope with being captain too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Vice-Captain
    He seemed to think a lot of bowlers were crap, one of them was bound to prove him right.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Well seeing as one of his proclamations on Harmy was "Steve Harmison is unable to bowl well", I'd give him 0/2.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information