• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Matt Hayden has made a peice of History..
He has preoduced the 2nd bext run ever in Test match History, A run that is only bettered by the best, Sir Don....

In his last 10 Tests hayden has hit 7 Test Centuries, only bettered by Sir Don who hit 8 Centuries in 10 Tests between 1934-1938...

Haydens Innings have been as follows...

131 vs Sth Africa, Adelaide 2001-02
138 vs Sth Africa, Melbourne 2001-02
105 vs Sth Africa, Sydeny 2001-02
122 vs Sth Africa, Johannesburg 2001-02
119 vs Pakistan, Sharjah, 2002-03
197 vs England, Brisbane 2002-03
103 vs England, Brisbane 2002-03

Another interesting Stat since hayden returned to the Test Arena in 1999-2000 against NZ, Hayden has averaged well above 60 opening the innings, and of the 27 Tests he has been back the Matches that Australia has won Hayden Averages well above 60, but the ones Australia lost Haydens average is a much less attractive 30...
This proves how vital Hayden has been to Australia's cause and also shows if u knock him over early then u are well on the way to winning the match....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some interesting stats there. Hayden always had the class at first class level, i think confidence played a big part to his recent success.
He was always going to be come a good test player, but who would have thought this good.
I was just over at the PWC site looking at the updated rankings. Hayden Currently has 937 ranking points to put him way out in front. These are carrer highest ratings of some other current players.

Adam Gilchrist 887
Sachin Tendulkar 897
Inzamam Ul Haq 865
Brian Lara 917
Andy Flower 898
Steve Waugh 909
Jaques Kallis 839

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by broncoman
Some interesting stats there. Hayden always had the class at first class level, i think confidence played a big part to his recent success.
He was always going to be come a good test player, but who would have thought this good.
I was just over at the PWC site looking at the updated rankings. Hayden Currently has 937 ranking points to put him way out in front. These are carrer highest ratings of some other current players.

Adam Gilchrist 887
Sachin Tendulkar 897
Inzamam Ul Haq 865
Brian Lara 917
Andy Flower 898
Steve Waugh 909
Jaques Kallis 839
Hmmmm those ratings would say Brian Lara is the clear 2nd place...and joining him above Sachin is Steve Waugh and Andy Flower...controversial!

Simon

Hayden's current rating is also the highest amount of points an Aussie batsman has had since Bradman.
Just adding further evidence to say Hayden is our best batsman since Bradman.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Hayden Is THE Man after

Bradman
Tendulkar

He is in mighty form , he played some really classy shots it was a real bummer to see him go out for an 103 , he was suprised as ..

aditya

U19 Vice-Captain
I think he is the best opener currently.He plays very aggressively and demoralises the opposition at the start of the innings only so other batsmen have a advantage before they come to the crease.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sachin's rating peak may be lower than Hayden's (and Flower and Lara) but Sachin will be more consistently higher.

I claimed that Hayden was the best batsman in the world before this test at school and wasn't taken seriously... fools :)

Top_Cat

All this from a guy who was rejected by the Academy here because they were "looking for people who were more likely to play first-class cricket for a long period of time."

No kidding.

What drugs was the guy who told him THAT on?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Hadyden may be key to Aust Batting but you must also look at the averages for the rets of teh teams - it is no one man team

Langer averages about 45 in test, 55 in FC
Ponting averages 48 in test, 56 in FC
Martyn averages nearly 50 in test, about 48 in FC
Steve waugh averages 49 in test, 50 in FS
Lehmann's test average is crap, he has not played much but his FC average is liek 55 i think, he just ticked over 19000 Fc runs
Gilchrists test average is like 60 and i have not idea what his FC is 45 maybe,

i includedd FC stats because thats what the english test team is like :lol::lol::lol:

thethirdumpire

Cricket Spectator
A Few Years ago i used to watch Hayden play for Northants and it was o obvious that he should have got in the aussie team however we currently have an even better aussie playing for us now someone who Mr Age-Master rates highyl and that is Hussey the blokes quality he should be in betta than Langer or Waugh ?

anzac

International Debutant
Greg I totally agree with your final comments re Hayden being the key to the Aussie batting......

8D

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well he was officially #1 in the world before the first test. Now he's way out in front. I still don't think he's as good as Tendulkar or Lara though. He could have been out so many times in the first innings alone. I know everyone's gonna say "yeah but he wasn't", but should making 300 runs against an abysmal bowling/fielding side on a flat track really deserve that much praise?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Well he was officially #1 in the world before the first test. Now he's way out in front. I still don't think he's as good as Tendulkar or Lara though. He could have been out so many times in the first innings alone. I know everyone's gonna say "yeah but he wasn't", but should making 300 runs against an abysmal bowling/fielding side on a flat track really deserve that much praise?
I wouldn't say abysmal...Caddick could be a great bowler if he kept interist...Hoggard had a very bad off test but he will bounce back and Giles, for once, did well.

Bazza

International 12th Man
The point is it was hardly one of the all time great innings, and Hayden isn't a great batsman. If he still averages 50 in four years' time let me know.

Top_Cat

The point is it was hardly one of the all time great innings
Obviously. Now his 204 in Chennai, that was up there with the very best. His 131 in Adelaide was absolutely spectactular too.

, and Hayden isn't a great batsman.
What the.....? Geez, just where would you bowl to himto get him out?

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Its not just that but hayden has scored runs all over the world, His 200 in India was as good as i've seen and his 100 in sharjah in 50 degree heat was that of a true champion, No ordinary batsman could counter those temperatures......

Bazza

International 12th Man
He looked mighty vulnerably to a ball moving back into him to me. Any swing or seam later in the series and one of those 20 inside edges/false shots should go to hand/hit the stumps/rap the pad, etc

Top_Cat

He looked mighty vulnerably to a ball moving back into him to me.
I thought he played quite well off his pads to deliveries moving back into him. Oh well, perspective is a funny thing. I saw one thing, you saw the same but we both 'see' differently. :D

Any swing or seam later in the series and one of those 20 inside edges/false shots should go to hand/hit the stumps/rap the pad, etc
Just bear in mind that the 'Gabb is a tough track on the first morning of a Test. Once it flattened out, guys like Hoggard looked pretty impotent.

Incidentally, I'll put my money where my mouth is and say that if I were to bowl to Hayden, I'd bowl around the wicket and try to move it back into him off the seam because he tends to play at deliveries like that which are too close to his body and he could flash a slips cath.........then again, maybe it's not such a good tactic because it'd then require someone in the English slips cordon to catch the ball. :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff's one of the best slip catchers you'll see although thats about the only thing he shares with Botham. So you don't have to worry about Slip catches being taken by him.

anzac

International Debutant
yep - get McGrath to bowl at him around the wicket ....ooopppsss same team!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

too bad not too many teams have someone of McGrath's control of line & length & able to extract bounce, as I think all 3 elements are needed & from a r/h seamer around the wicket & not a lefty in this case....

Hayden may not be 'as good' or as stylish, he may be riding his luck (maybe he's due some after his initial start to his international career), and maybe the opposition are playing crap - but you can't tell me that the same doesn't apply to every other contender....

To each his own but for me it's his consistancy at producing big scores at an excellent rate in just about every series since his recall that I find so compelling at the moment....

:)