• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Justin Langer Tribute Thread

adharcric

International Coach
Justin Langer has announced his retirement alongside Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath at the SCG. That's four massive retirements in a matter of a few weeks - huge blows for Australian cricket. Langer epitomized grit and determination for several years and he's definitely done his country proud. He joined Matthew Hayden in one of the most prolific opening partnerships the game has ever witnessed.

Let us reserve this thread for our tributes and memories of Justin Langer. Well done, JL. :)

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the guy now. He removed two of my favourite cricketers (Slater and Blewett) from the test arena but made up for it by being so good with Hayden. I love watching him bat, his shot selection and the odd slice of luck he always seems to get. What a guy. Never seen a more courageous and passionate batsman since I started watching the game (hmm I suppose Steve Waugh) and we'll surely miss him.

Having said that he will still be replaced without too much harm.

howardj

International Coach
Incredibly passionate. Loved his team-mates.

I think he'll still want to spend Christmas with the lads in Melbourne!

adharcric said:
Justin Langer has announced his retirement alongside Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath at the SCG. That's three massive retirements in a matter of a few weeks - huge blows for Australian cricket. Langer epitomized grit and determination for several years and he's definitely done his country proud. He joined Matthew Hayden in one of the most prolific opening partnerships the game has ever witnessed.

Let us reserve this thread for our tributes and memories of Justin Langer. Well done, JL. :)
Amazing cricketer in a great generation.

Enjoy retiremenet big man.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah was a handy player, was Justin, really loved his determination and passion for the game. Bit harsh on McGrath though; everyone else has a tribute thread, and he doesn't.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
andyc said:
Yeah was a handy player, was Justin, really loved his determination and passion for the game. Bit harsh on McGrath though; everyone else has a tribute thread, and he doesn't!
He'll get one after the World Cup. :)

luffy

International Captain
It will be good too see Jaques get a run though Langs will be really missed.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langer just loved playing and loved being around his team mates, once of the best team men that I could think of. His little spat with Shoaib Akhtar a couple of years ago was absolute gold, showed what a fighting spirit the little chap had.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As I said in the other thread on his retirement, part of one of the greatest opening pairs of all time and the greatest of its era. His peak seemed to coincide exactly with Hayden's, and from 2001 to 2004 or so when Hayden's form dropped away they were unstoppable together. Not the most gifted batsman in the current Australian team but certainly the toughest post-Waugh, and he had a great temprament.

He was absolutely phenomenal in the summer of 04/05, and his innings of 190 odd at the WACA against Pakistan was brilliant. Got through the early period against Shoaib and company while five wickets fell and then dominated later in the day. Another memorable innings was the 150+ score in the second innings in Sri Lanka in '04, against Murali. For a guy who was never a great player of spin it was a really class effort, and only one other batsman passed 50.

Craig

World Traveller
I was surprised he never he got another gig again in ODIs, I mean it wasn't as though he couldn't score fast and he wasn't/isn't the worse in the field.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
right....

Great team player, very passionate about the game. He will undoubtably be busy in retirement though with his family, im sure he will love abit of extra time around them.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
right....

Great team player, very passionate about the game. He will undoubtably be busy in retirement though with his family, im sure he will love abit of extra time around them.

Stumped

Banned
i dont think langer and mcgrath have or maybe gonna get the farewell they deserve while warne is retiring at the same time

Steulen

International Regular
My favourite player. Let's hope he gets one last ton and a crash on the helmet at the SCG.

Really good too that one of his last heroic moments was that catch of a big Collingwood drive at the MCG...he's never got the compliments for his fielding that he deserves, I feel.