• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Justin Langer set to announce retirement

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jaques in, I suppose. I think this will be the last of the retirements for now. Maybe a couple more looming in another year and a half.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Marsh-Lillee-Chappell
Warne-McGrath-Langer

:@

awww Langers ditching Hayden... the 'partnership' is broken :( :laugh: :dry:

adharcric

International Coach
Jaques and Rogers as the possible replacements? Their performance in domestic cricket over the next year or so will probably decide who gets the nod. Thoughts?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'll be sad to see him go, was always one of my favourite players, just for the way he went about his cricket. Seems a genuinely nice bloke too.

Perm

Marvellous little character, I'll really miss him. One of my favourites. I'm just waiting in terror to see how long it is until Gilchrist calls it quits.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Oh dear, The SCG test has virtually become a big retirement party now.

Well played to JL though, perfect example of how a player can turn a fairly modest career around through hard work & determination.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The 5th test would have been must miss, now its can't miss with three world class players retiring at the eve.

Great work guys, all three gave it their all and did their country proud.

Hoggy31

International Captain
:(...

I'd take Rogers ahead of Jaques atm, Rogers is much more compact in the Langer mould and looks ready made for test cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sad to see the Hayden/Langer partnership broken.

The way Langer went about his cricket was very admirable. Great character and fighter.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Will pass the mantle of the toughest player in the side on to Ponting when he goes. Great batsman, and part of probably the second best opening combination in test history after Hobbs and Sutcliffe. Will be a shame to see him go, but like the Warne and McGrath retirements it opens the door for new players.

social

Congrats to Langer on great career

Decision to retire consistent with courageous way he has approached his cricket

Definitely should have played a lot more ODIs and should be picked in WC squad IMO

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Great batsman, and part of probably the second best opening combination in test history after Hobbs and Sutcliffe.
You forgot quite a lot of other opening partnerships which have better averages- Following is the list to help you .

Mat I NO Runs Ave 100 50
H Sutcliffe & JB Hobbs (Eng) 25 38 1 3249 87.81 15 10
AF Rae & JB Stollmeyer (WI) 13 21 2 1349 71.00 5 3
GC Smith & AB de Villiers (RSA) 13 23 0 1489 64.73 4 5
JHW Fingleton & WA Brown (Aus) 10 16 0 1020 63.75 3 4
HH Gibbs & GC Smith (RSA) 27 46 3 2728 63.44 7 8
W Rhodes & JB Hobbs (Eng) 22 36 1 2146 61.31 8 5
RB Simpson & WM Lawry (Aus) 34 62 3 3596 60.94 9 18
Sadiq Mohammad & Majid Khan (Pak) 14 26 3 1391 60.47 4 9
L Hutton & C Washbrook (Eng) 28 51 3 2880 60.00 8 13
GA Gooch & MA Atherton (Eng) 24 44 0 2501 56.84 7 12
TL Goddard & EJ Barlow (RSA) 18 34 2 1806 56.43 6 11
V Sehwag & G Gambhir (Ind) 12 19 1 1002 55.66 2 6
JG Wright & TJ Franklin (NZ) 16 28 0 1543 55.10 5 5
RC Fredericks & CG Greenidge (WI) 16 31 2 1593 54.93 5 5
CPS Chauhan & SM Gavaskar (Ind) 36 59 3 3010 53.75 10 10
ME Trescothick & AJ Strauss (Eng) 28 52 1 2670 52.35 8 12
JH Edrich & G Boycott (Eng) 21 35 3 1672 52.25 6 8
ML Hayden & JL Langer (Aus) 63 111 3 5575 51.62 14 24

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
AB Devilliers & GC Smith and Sehwag & Gambhir are definately not better...regardless of the averages. In fact, with those two at least, its not even close. I'd have Langer + Hayden any day of the week.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
AB Devilliers & GC Smith and Sehwag & Gambhir are definately not better...regardless of the averages. In fact, with those two at least, its not even close. I'd have Langer + Hayden any day of the week.
OK even if you leave those 2 there is still lot of other better opening combinations.

adharcric

International Coach
Pretty much. Out of that list, Simpson+Lawry might be better. Perhaps a few others, but most of them don't belong there.