• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stop the Mindless Criticism!

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
At the risk of sparking handbags at dawn which escalated when i posted a thread about Nixon McLean, I am wondering how anyone expects England to progress when they are knocked down at every turn?

True, their second innings capitulation was disgraceful but knocking this England team for losing to what is undoubtedly an awesome Aus team (it really kills to admit that but there we go) is no disaster.

We should really be judging England at the end of the tour and then by what they have achieved in the last year or so. I would argue they are capable of beating any team at home except Australia and are learning to up their game away from home (except against Australia!). This is a better England team with more promise than for some time. It is fashionable for other countries to knock England as well as our own mindless press but we are up against the ultimate yard stick and if we come away having progressed as a team and blooded a few players like Tudor and Harmison against the best, mission accomplished. Sure, we play to win but I don't think losing the Ashes or should I say failing to regain them is cause for 'national ghashing of teeth day' in this country. It was the manner in which we lost which rankled.

As long as we put up a better fight in the future and perform with more credibility and guts then I'll be happy, win or lose. This Aus team has already whitewashed Pakistan, smashed SA in SA and basically squished everyone in world cricket. A bit of perspective would be novel.

And can other countries stop taking such sad delight at our expense cos the same has happened to your cricket teams too.........

Bazza

International 12th Man
We have definitely progressed and will continue to do so I am sure. Ironically the closes Ashes series since I have been following cricket was the first one I remember in 1997 (3-2). Since then we have got further away each time (3-1, 4-1), which suggests Australia have progressed at a fster rate.:(

anzac

International Debutant
sorry if we've hurt your sensitive bits mate....you should have been around for the blood letting we have already given just about anyone & everyone who craps out - be it against Australia or anyone....

just like you all we are asking for is a little fight in the dog!!!!!!!

8D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by jf2001
At the risk of sparking handbags at dawn which escalated when i posted a thread about Nixon McLean, I am wondering how anyone expects England to progress when they are knocked down at every turn?

True, their second innings capitulation was disgraceful but knocking this England team for losing to what is undoubtedly an awesome Aus team (it really kills to admit that but there we go) is no disaster.

We should really be judging England at the end of the tour and then by what they have achieved in the last year or so. I would argue they are capable of beating any team at home except Australia and are learning to up their game away from home (except against Australia!). This is a better England team with more promise than for some time. It is fashionable for other countries to knock England as well as our own mindless press but we are up against the ultimate yard stick and if we come away having progressed as a team and blooded a few players like Tudor and Harmison against the best, mission accomplished. Sure, we play to win but I don't think losing the Ashes or should I say failing to regain them is cause for 'national ghashing of teeth day' in this country. It was the manner in which we lost which rankled.

As long as we put up a better fight in the future and perform with more credibility and guts then I'll be happy, win or lose. This Aus team has already whitewashed Pakistan, smashed SA in SA and basically squished everyone in world cricket. A bit of perspective would be novel.

And can other countries stop taking such sad delight at our expense cos the same has happened to your cricket teams too.........
We all admit that Aus has the best team. It's just that England has been getting beaten so badly for such a long time while other countries put up a much better performance every once in a while. For example, Indian always gets beaten badly in Aus, but the last 3 or 4 series in India have either been drawn or been won by India. NZ very creditably drew their last series in Aus. Can England say the same? So, if you look at it objectively, the criticism might not be so mindless after all, it might be just a tad justified.

[Edited on 11/15/2002 by anilramavarma]