• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should her Majest Queen Elizabeth grank OBEs /Knighthoods to the Australian Team?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
We all know what happened after the last Ashes series win - All of the England Team including coaches , managers, physio 's and even baggage boys got OBE's ( am not sure if anyone got knighthood) .

Since Australia are now on the verge of cleaning England out 5-0 - shouldn't the Australians deserve better ? (afterall England only just managed to win the Ashes - not a clean white wash).

Since Australia still has her as head of State she could still give honorary titles to the Aussies. (I know occasional American Citizens in the past who have been given knighthoods- although they only use their title while in England only IIRC.)

She would be setting a great precedent IMO . Any thoughts ....

Edit - could one of the Mods please alter the title - A typo seems to have crept in -it should read "her majesty" not her majest as it does now.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I don't think the Aussie Government will allow any knigthoods these days, I wonder which Aussies since Bradman would have been given them:

Benaud
Lillee
Border
Waugh S
Warne

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Couldn't honestly see Warne getting one with his personal life, but Benaud & SR Waugh would be shoo-ins.

A shame really, I think Sir Steve & Sir Richie would suit them!

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If June Sarpong can get a MBE then the Aus cricket team may as well have one.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't think of anyone who deserves a knighthood as much as Richie. Sir Richie Benaud.

If Waugh deserves knighthood then Border definitely does. Integral part of what we see now. Turned Australia from shocking to best in the world under his captaincy. Then continued to ensure the domination by becoming a selector.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As archie suggested, since Whitlam we don't accept knighthoods any more, by law. Our PMs don't even get knighted any more. The last one was McMahon, which means we'll never see Sir John Howard, thank the Lord.

We've got our own system of national awards that nobody cares about. IIRC, Richie Benaud has already recieved the highest one available to sportspeople.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
James90 said:
Can't think of anyone who deserves a knighthood as much as Richie. Sir Richie Benaud.

If Waugh deserves knighthood then Border definitely does. Integral part of what we see now. Turned Australia from shocking to best in the world under his captaincy. Then continued to ensure the domination by becoming a selector.
I was thinking that Waugh would be more of a certainty because of the stirling work he's done for children in India. Spoting success + charity work would equal Sir Steve were he a Pom, as horrible a thought as that is to all Aussies I'm sure.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Edit - could one of the Mods please alter the title - A typo seems to have crept in -it should read "her majesty" not her majest as it does now.

Does this mean that you're happy to leave the word "grank" in the title?:unsure:

open365

International Vice-Captain
The difference between England's ashes victory and Australia's ashes victory is that ours was a hell of a lot more exciting which caused a massive rise in the amount of people interested in cricket, we were also big underdogs to win at the start of the series.

Australia winning the ashes now is expected, i don't think anyone really though we had a chance of beating you so it'd be a bit weird any of the Aussie team receiving an nonour.

cameeel

International Captain
open365 said:
The difference between England's ashes victory and Australia's ashes victory is that ours was a hell of a lot more exciting which caused a massive rise in the amount of people interested in cricket, we were also big underdogs to win at the start of the series.

Australia winning the ashes now is expected, i don't think anyone really though we had a chance of beating you so it'd be a bit weird any of the Aussie team receiving an nonour.
50'000 Poms travelling to Australia says otherwise

open365

International Vice-Captain
cameeel said:
A chance to visit your beautifull country and watch the cricket, whether we win or not i would say it's a pretty worth while trip.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
JUNE SARPONG GOT AN MBE?!?!?!?!? :-O

FFS...
Services to broadcasting (erm what?) and charity (ambassador for Prince's Trust, ahh so that's why she's got it). :dry:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Matteh said:
Services to broadcasting (erm what?) and charity (ambassador for Prince's Trust, ahh so that's why she's got it). :dry:
So she's a TV presenter who once gave some spare change to UNICEF, and who also happens to be black and female. I can assume Josie D'Arby also got one?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
She was shagging an MP too, which (my lawyers have advised me to say) may or may not have improved her chances. :ph34r:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
She was shagging an MP too, which (my lawyers have advised me to say) may or may not have improved her chances. :ph34r:
Is she disabled as well? Then she'd have the complete set of reasons to get one. :ph34r:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Barney Rubble said:
Is she disabled as well? Then she'd have the complete set of reasons to get one. :ph34r:
The MP who she was ........, was disabled :laugh: . (and a Cabinet Minister wasn't he :laugh: )

Which gives her every right to an OBE/Knighthood.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cameeel said:
The number of English fans in recent years has always been big - even when we were completely hopeless.