• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does everyone love Monty?

pasag

RTDAS
He's just an awesome person who is enthusiastic about the game and is quiet refreshing to see. Plus it's amazing, from a personal viewpoint, to see a person who can keep up his religious beliefs and traditions whilst being an international cricketer.

He's a gun tbh.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
His passion and enthusiasm. He puts his heart and soul into it every time he steps on the field.

Stumped

Banned
Pretty much all players put passion and give 100% i think the world like monty because he shows it more often. More emotionaly "unshy"

pasag

RTDAS
Stumped said:
Pretty much all players put passion and give 100% i think the world like monty because he shows it more often. More emotionaly "unshy"
Don't agree with that though, plenty of players look like they don't want to be there or they can just turn up and win. Their stars have got to their head. I'm not even saying that’s so much of a bad thing. But when players like Monty or Mike Hussey come along and show a genuine enjoyment and love of the game, people take notice and they get really popular, really quickly. Certainly two of my favorite players.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think he's the sort of bloke it's more-or-less impossible not to warm too. His short-comings as a cricketer are there for all to see, but it's obvious he works desperately hard to overcome them & he retains a charmingly naive enthusiasm for the game. His delight at wickets is clearly unbounded.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I do find some of the over the top Monty love a little patronising, but obviously he revels in it, so it's fair enough. He's certainly a likable character and his enthusiasm is contagious.

I was playing snooker at a worker's club in Newcastle when the third test was on, and there was your usual group of middle aged blokes drinking beer and watching the cricket, and one of them was going on this never-ending rant about Monty's example to other "muslims or whatever" for pretty much the whole time I was there. Evidently, such people could "learn a lot from him", as he's "doing a lot more for his religion than the rest of them that run around blowing stuff up".

gunner

U19 Cricketer
only the english love him

obviously they would cos hes the only decent spinner to come from their from ages

but the love is slowly dying down cos aussies ahev worked out how to play him and soon other nations will too

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
I do find some of the over the top Monty love a little patronising, but obviously he revels in it, so it's fair enough. He's certainly a likable character and his enthusiasm is contagious.

I was playing snooker at a worker's club in Newcastle when the third test was on, and there was your usual group of middle aged blokes drinking beer and watching the cricket, and one of them was going on this never-ending rant about Monty's example to other "muslims or whatever" for pretty much the whole time I was there. Evidently, such people could "learn a lot from him", as he's "doing a lot more for his religion than the rest of them that run around blowing stuff up".
:laugh:

I imagine your tongue was bloody from being bitten.

TBF it does show how wrong Fat Gray's cobblers about Monty being racially abused in Oz was. Even conservative (with a small "c") pies-and-peas Aussies like yer man there are clearly loving him.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
gunner said:
Not sure that's true, he looks to have had a great relationship with the Australian crowds so far.

And I'm certainly a Monty fan. (And I can assure you that I am NOT English).

Matt79

Global Moderator
Um.. because he's a talented young cricketer who's seizing his chance, and who plays with obvious passion and enthusiasm for the sport and for his team? :huh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
gunner said:

obviously they would cos hes the only decent spinner to come from their from ages

but the love is slowly dying down cos aussies ahev worked out how to play him and soon other nations will too
I'm not English and I like him.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I like him because i think he's a player who goes against the traditional Duncan Fletcher "Everyone must bat" theory so whenever he scores runs it's like "Take that Duncan you miserable Zimbabwean"

That and the fact he's a pretty handy spinner and wears a turban.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
I am English and I don't particularly like or dislike him. He's just the latest foreigner in our team.
Andrew Strauss and gerraint Jones are far more foreing than Panesar. Panesar is English, he was born in Luton, so shut up.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They like him because of the media, mostly. The media love him because he's different, new and naive. As his average continues going upwards and above 35 he'll get a more lukewarm response from the media, but given he wears a turban he'll probably be spared the media doing their usual assassination job which shortly follows the putting someone on a pedestal.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
Andrew Strauss and gerraint Jones are far more foreing than Panesar. Panesar is English, he was born in Luton, so shut up.

How can you be more foreign? You're either foreign or not.:)