• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Commentator

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I know we might have had this before but I want to know who you guys think is a good Commentator (from who I've seen)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Its between Richie and Aggers in my vote...and Aggers gets it, he allways brings a breath of freash air when he puts on the mic, isn't biased, cheers on anyone weather they are having a good or bad day and just generally seems like a nice guy. Richie just lost as I have him on a recording of some highlights of a Natwest Series match between England and Pakistan where Cork uses Inzamam to keep his balance when hes trying to kick the ball onto the stumps...and even though the programs are limited to 30-45 mins each...he takes out his own 5 minute slot to talk about how "A player should never lay a hand on an opposition player on the cricket field", then as if that wasn't enough he repeats it...right, these programs are barely long enough and we see little actual cricket as it is so Richie's "Rules of Cricket" loose him my vote...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
They're all English & Australian!, what about the likes of Shastri, Holding & Smith?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Tim
They're all English & Australian!, what about the likes of Shastri, Holding & Smith?
Never heard Holding, Shastri I've only heard once and he just went on about how great India was...Smith...ok fair enough I forgot him and Singh...he is just too confusing for me. This is just a poll for selfish reasons, I just want to see out of the commentators I've seen who you think is the best.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by aussie_beater
Geoff Boycott is the best because he gives the best technical insight into the game.
Yes but he talks waaaaaay too much bollocks too

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
I know we might have had this before but I want to know who you guys think is a good Commentator (from who I've seen)
On a point of order, isn't it heard? :lol:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Rik
Geoff Boycott is the best because he gives the best technical insight into the game.
Doesn't matter as long as he doesn't blabber like Henry Blofeld.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Rik
Its called painting a visual picture...but you probably wouldn't understand that.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The bloke with the mad laugh is Kerry O'Keeffe, former Australian leg spin bowler of the 70s.

The best would still be Richie. They're grooming Mark Taylor to replace him once he's retired but I can't stand him.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Rik
Originally posted by Rik
Its called painting a visual picture...but you probably wouldn't understand that.
Pictures are always visual, mate :lol: :lol:

Maybe you have something else in mind.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Rik
Originally posted by Rik
Pictures are always visual, mate :lol: :lol:

Maybe you have something else in mind.
No he describes the scene and paints a virtual picture of the scene and I think it works very effectively. Aggers and Blofelt and Richie are the best I feel.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Rik

No he describes the scene and paints a virtual picture of the scene and I think it works very effectively. Aggers and Blofelt and Richie are the best I feel.
With Television you don't need that...I hate when TV commentators talk too much and Henry Blofeld falls into that category.Also he sucks in the technicalities big time.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Rik

With Television you don't need that...I hate when TV commentators talk too much and Henry Blofeld falls into that category.Also he sucks in the technicalities big time.
Errrm he's a radio commentator! Anyway can you all stop complaining and just vote? Ok I put both radio and TV commenators in here and missed out some but I was just asking who you think is the best out of my favs. I also just love Aggers' whole attitude, it makes cricket fun even to listen to on the radio!

Bazza

International 12th Man
I like Aggers, and Richie is a legend, but Boycott wins it for me because he tells it like it is. Botham's a bit like that too but Boycott is the best. Most commentators sit on the fence at moments of controversy but good ol' Geoffrey just gives his opinion and worries about the consequences later. I like that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Aggers, and Richie is a legend, but Boycott wins it for me because he tells it like it is. Botham's a bit like that too but Boycott is the best. Most commentators sit on the fence at moments of controversy but good ol' Geoffrey just gives his opinion and worries about the consequences later. I like that.
I agree. Boycs has even surpassed Ritchie, in my book. Ritchie's NSW and old-time player bias comes out a little too often for my liking thise days. He used to be the best but Boycs is up there with the best. He doesn't speak the best or have the best manner of the commentators but for technical insights, there's none better. I used to think he was quite negative (and he can be) but when a player does well, he's the first to praise him. In short, the man just dooosent tolerate any roobish! :D

I think it's amazing how some former players can come across as such dimwits as commentators. Mark Taylor is the perfect example. One of our best ever captains yet when I hear him speak, I cringe at some of his clangers and his tendency to obviate. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
We gotta sort out the polls as I keep being presented with the vote screen whenever I open this thread...and I have to vote to see the results...which might explain why Aggers is leading :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Holding is good - Kerry o keefe is the best, he craccks everyone up, Benaud second Taylor 3rd and Holding forth for mine