• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick TWO final Bowlers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

Pick TWO final bowlers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
Please pick two final bowlers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI:

Curtly Ambrose (WI): 98 tests, 405 wkts @ 20.99 (22/3), SR 54.5, Econ 2.30 --- 1439 runs @ 12.40
Ian Botham (Eng): 102 tests, 383 wkts @ 28.40, (27/4), BB 8-34, SR 56.9, Econ 2.99 --- 5200 runs @ 33.54
Richard Hadlee (NZ): 86 tests, 431 wkts @ 22.29 (36/9), SR 50.8, Econ 2.63 --- 3124 runs @ 27.16
Imran Khan (Pak): 88 tests, 362 wkts @ 22.81, (23/6), BB 8-58, SR 53.7, Econ 2.54 --- 3807 runs @ 37.69
Dennis Lillee (Aus): 70 tests, 355 wkts @ 23.92 (23/7), SR 52.0, Econ 2.75 --- 905 runs @ 13.71
Keith Miller (Aus): 55 tests, 170 wkts @ 22.97, (7/1), BB 7-60, SR 61.5, Econ 2.24 --- 2958 runs @ 36.97
Muttiah Muralitharan (SL): 110 tests, 674 wkts @ 21.73 (57/19), SR 54.5, Econ 2.39, BB 9-51 --- 1117 runs @ 11.75
Shane Warne (Aus): 144 tests, 706 wkts @ 25.35 (37/10), SR 57.4, Econ 2.65, BB 8-71 --- 3083 runs @ 17.03

The 1946-2006 World Test XI so far:

1. Sunil Gavaskar (51.12)
2. Len Hutton (54.62)
3. Viv Richards (50.23)
4. Sachin Tendulkar (55.11)
5. Brian Lara (52.88)
6. Gary Sobers (57.78) and (Bowl: 34.03)
7. Adam Gilchrist (48.98)
8. Malcom Marshall (18.85) and (Bowl: 20.94)
11. Glenn McGrath (7.45) and (Bowl: 21.65)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
With the impressive batting line up, I feel there is no need for another allrounder, and as Sobers can be the second spinner, I've gone for a Lillee and Warne.

btw, I don't think there'd be a lot of difference between Lillee/Warne and Ambrose/Murali

adharcric

International Coach
Playing only two quality pacemen will hurt, but the Warne-Murali tandem will be lethal if Sobers can provide a quality first-change seam option.
Was Sobers better as a seamer or spinner? That will make a considerable difference IMO.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:
Playing only two quality pacemen will hurt...
It will more than hurt...this team will be up against the pre-war XI with possibly Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Hammond, ???, Faulkner & Ames being the top 7?

Going in with only two front-line pacers would mean there no need to vote which team would win IMO, pre-war XI by a mile ;)

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
It will more than hurt...this team will be up against the pre-war XI with possibly Hobbs, Barnes, Bradman, Hammond as the top 4, with Faulkner & Ames coming in at 6-7.

Going in with only two front-line pacers would mean there no need to vote which team would win IMO, pre-war XI by a mile ;)
Any chance Warne and Murali would destroy that lineup? ;)

Anyways, you didn't answer my question. Was Sobers better as a seamer or spinner?

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
As far as I know, Sobers was a superior seamer...his average is brought up a fair bit from bowling spin. I don't have any figures though, and I doubt any are available.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:

Anyways, you didn't answer my question. Was Sobers better as a seamer or spinner?

He was a front-line seamer but part-time spinner.

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:

I've been trying to answer your question but for some reason I can't seem to log on to CW for more than one minute at at a time.......

Sobers was known as a better seamer than a spinner but I think we should dicount him during the decision for the final bowling line-up. IMO the allounder is an extra bowling option rather than being a key bowler and if the four selected bowlers need the allrounder to bowl regularly then we are in trouble ;

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ambrose & Imran. Thought about Ambrose & Lillee as well. We don't need a spinner, they suck and should be banned from the game. :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Imran is a spinner?

No, you're quote was "We don't need a spinner, they suck and should be banned from the game."
Replace the word "spinner" with "Imran" (an of course correct the grammar a bit to reflect the singular).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
No, you're quote was "We don't need a spinner, they suck and should be banned from the game."
Replace the word "spinner" with "Imran" (an of course correct the grammar a bit to reflect the singular).
Imran sucked as a player? Thats just a ridiculous statement.

Anyway, Four fast bowlers + Sobers would be ideal as far I'm concerned. Doesn't matter which four fast bowlers from this list.