• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick TWO final Bowlers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

Pick TWO final bowlers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Where as the statement that spinner's suck and should be banned from the game is completely rational?:newyear:
It is. They disgust me. They take overs away from the poor pacers. And they are allowed to be fat and still get supermodels :p

Fusion

Global Moderator
Lillian Thomson said:
No, you're quote was "We don't need a spinner, they suck and should be banned from the game."
Replace the word "spinner" with "Imran" (an of course correct the grammar a bit to reflect the singular).

Just plain dumb on both (SS & you) of your parts.

Anyway, even though my vote will goto waste, I went with Hadlee and Imran. I, like SS and AT, believe that the team balance was messed up by not selecting Sobers at 5. We only need one spinner in this team, and though I would prefer either Warne or Murali, Sobers will have to do here. So I picked Hadlee, the 2nd greatest pacer after Marshall IMO. Imran is an all time great pacer who also will be a great Captain for this side.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I hope the spinners get the votes split between them and some pacer makes a comeback.

Any pacer. Ambrose, Lillee, Imran, Hadlee...doesn't matter.

NO SPINNERS PLEASE!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I hope the spinners get the votes split between them and some pacer makes a comeback.

NO SPINNERS PLEASE!

It's quite likely that the pacemen votes will be more equally split allowing Warne and Murali to both get in.:-O

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:

NO SPINNERS PLEASE!
I'm sure you have been asked this many times, but why do you have a dislike for spinners.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voted for Ambrose and Warne. Ambrose is the closest to Joel Garner, who should be in the side obviously......

Matt79

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:

NO SPINNERS PLEASE!
Getting slightly old tla...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ambrose and Warne for me. I may have Hadlee rated ahead of both but an attack of Ambrose, Marshall, McGrath and Warne looks great on paper.

In fact it looks almost perfect. I doubt Sobers would bowl more than a few overs a game.

JBH001

International Regular
aussie tragic said:
I've been trying to answer your question but for some reason I can't seem to log on to CW for more than one minute at at a time.......

Sobers was known as a better seamer than a spinner but I think we should dicount him during the decision for the final bowling line-up. IMO the allounder is an extra bowling option rather than being a key bowler and if the four selected bowlers need the allrounder to bowl regularly then we are in trouble ;
Errrr, I don't know about that AT - but I think your bias against more than 1 spinner is showing. If an all-rounder only needs to bowl just a few overs then he really is a batsman who trundles his arm over a few times. Imran/Kapil/Both and Paddles all clearly bowled more than just a few overs, and Sobers has clearly been selected at #6 for his batting and his bowling. Specifically his seam bowling which will provide an effective 3rd option for McGrath and Marshall, his being a left armer will also be a help and give variety to the attack.

Still, I have not voted yet - but am leaning toward the 2 spinners.
There are no pacers on that list (with maybe the exception of Hadlee) who can match them, and they would be lethal in tandem, and on uncovered wickets.

bagapath

International Captain
marshall and mcgrath are absolutely wonderful fast bowlers. of course, lillee, hadlee, imran, truman and ambrose are also equally good. i would have preferred hadlee and marshall to open the attack. but mcgrath for hadlee is also fine. so.. having been completely satisfied with the pace bowling department, which will be supported by sobers, i have gone for warne and murali. they are not just the greatest spinners in history (along with oreilly) but also the best bowlers in this list of giants.

adharcric

International Coach
I've thought very hard about this. Having another world-class fast bowler would be nice, but Sobers can provide support for our awesome new-ball attack.
Warne and Murali for me, as they will destroy the pre-war lineup in tandem on uncovered wickets.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just out of interest (or boredom :)), I thought I’d break-down the votes so far (as of 31 voters):

Murali & Warne: 7 votes
Lillee & Warne: 7 votes

Ambrose & Murali: 4 votes
Hadlee & Murali: 3 votes

Ambrose & Warne: 2 votes
Lillee & Ambrose: 2 votes
Imran & Murali: 2 votes
Imran & Ambrose: 2 votes

Lillee & Murali: 1 vote
Imran & Hadlee: 1 vote

Edit: updated from 29 to 31 votes

Last edited: