• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appoint more umpires - Sheperd

adharcric

International Coach
Umpiring in test cricket is pathetic and I'm not just speaking after an India loss full of umpiring rubbish.
They get paid and they are considered to be experts so they better perform at a high standard.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Umpiring in test cricket is pathetic and I'm not just speaking after an India loss full of umpiring rubbish.
They get paid and they are considered to be experts so they better perform at a high standard.
Is it really? I doubt FC cricket has better umpiring. Difference is there are no audiences and TV cameras to judge.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Is it really? I doubt FC cricket has better umpiring. Difference is there are no audiences and TV cameras to judge.
Either way, I can't accept that we can't find more than 1 solid umpire in the world. There are decent umpires in my little league who who get paid 55 bucks per match.
No reason why we shouldn't have a few who can't get things right when so much more is at stake.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
there should be coaching center or school for umpires where they have to go and take a test every year to stay at the elite panel or get demotate and new ones get promoted based on how well you do on the test ....

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
there should be coaching center or school for umpires where they have to go and take a test every year to stay at the elite panel or get demotate and new ones get promoted based on how well you do on the test ....

What sort of test, a written one? I could pass that based on the rules of the game. There is no way to simulate umpiring in the middle.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
What sort of test, a written one? I could pass that based on the rules of the game. There is no way to simulate umpiring in the middle.
not not a writen one....may be one thats like a video and you have to make the discision from it...the videos view could be from the umpires view and there would be lbws, caught out etc that had to be decided by the umpire....or simulate with the situations in 3rd and the make their discision and back it up with why its out or not out....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You might be able to do something of that sort for lbws but it would never work on nicks\gloves, and there are far too many of them missed. I can forgive a not-absolutely-plumb lbw being turned-down but not a glove or a nick being missed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Richard's signature said:
Funniest post (intentionally) ever
It's close runner-up
A close third
Hi Richard, completely OT here but I just noticed the grammatical error in your signature, and was quite shocked by it. Very uncharacteristic. I wouldn't normally point these things out*, but well, it was bugging me, and it's part of my job (ie at work, not at CW) to prevent such errors. As such, I kindly request that you remove the apostrophe.

*and I'm lying, I think I made a similar post to SS a couple of weeks back. And well, surely Pickup would pick up on it sooner or later anyhow. How sad am I?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I agree they should appoint some more umpires - the poor buggers on the elite panel must only spend about 10 days a year at home given the amount of cricket being played these days.

That said, I don't think there's a problem in general with the level of umpiring - different umpires have ups and downs, but generally they're probably about as good as you're going to get it without completely bogging the game down in replays, hawkeyes, hot spots and snickos, and therefore dropping the over rate to around 45 overs a day. Yep, they make mistakes, and sometimes they're howlers, but I don't think you're going to find many people out there who could do the job day in day out and make so few noticeable errors. Anyways, it should build character. (although to paraphrase JR from WWE this game doesn't BUILD character, it REVEALS character).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spot on Matt...

I hardly think the continuous globe-trotting between each individual match is assisting in their decision making either. Some of the problem could easily be fixed imo by allowing umpires to stand in games from their home country. The game is far more advanced than it was 10-15 years ago. Those involved are professionals, and can hardly afford to have any significant level of bias in their decision making if they value their Job.

Or even if you aren't going appoint Home umpires, are least schedule it so umpires aren't jumping between 3 test series in 3 different continents in the space of 2 months. Players aren't expected to do it, so neither should the umpires.

Dravid

International Captain
I always believed, umpires should stand in nets while batsman are batting. Record the session, and have the umpires review it if they got it right or not. Gives the chance to umpires to practice also. Main reason we don't have a lot of quality umpires...they don't have much practice.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I always believed, umpires should stand in nets while batsman are batting. Record the session, and have the umpires review it if they got it right or not. Gives the chance to umpires to practice also. Main reason we don't have a lot of quality umpires...they don't have much practice.
So give them more work to do - great!