• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phil Jaques - Overhyped

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can you finally shut-up about pretending to know about my life? We have nothing to do with each other, and you`ve already made yourself look like a fool by trying to bring things up and getting them horribly wrong. It`s really creepy and you need to stop it, and grow up a bit.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, but yes, Phil Jaques...

I started a thread about him sometime, proclaiming his greatness. His form slump isn`t as annoying as the way he`s getting out for mine. Stupid shots early on, his dismissal against Gordon was miserable.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When he was mentioned as on TMS as a possible replacement for Watson in the first Test Tim Lane said he's not rated all that highly in Australia dispite his runs against England in the warm up matches.

Nnanden said:
Can you finally shut-up about pretending to know about my life? We have nothing to do with each other, and you`ve already made yourself look like a fool by trying to bring things up and getting them horribly wrong. It`s really creepy and you need to stop it, and grow up a bit.
I was joking.

Edit : Your the one that brang it up in the first place so most of it can be atoned to your fault.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AussieDominance said:
I was joking.

Edit : Your the one that brang it up in the first place so most of it can be atoned to your fault.
Noooo need for the edit.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
AussieDominance said:
I was joking.

My head hurts.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not overhyped....but a bit out of touch

Not overhyped - his record speaks for itself and he had a great season last summer.
Unfortunately he has hit a bad period just when he didn't need it (spots possibly opening up in the Australian side, World Cup looming).
If there was a test spot available tomorrow, it may well go to Rogers.

On the World Cup front, I keep reading about how his fielding is ordinary and that has the selectors in a quandary about what to do with him. I'd love to see him get a run in the tri-series (who is the sponser this year? Geeze I hate naming rights) against Eng and NZ so he can show them what he can do.......but I have a funny feeling that Hayden will get a call up.

howardj

International Coach
I don't think Jaques is over-rated. Nobody, to my knowledge is saying that he's a champion. Just that he will, given Langer's imminent announcement, be the guy to partner Hayden at the top of the order when Australia play their next Test Match in November. I think his season, and the question of his selection, is analagous to when Hayden was picked in 1999/2000.

That is, in that season, Hayden was averaging in the mid 30s in FC cricket (as Jacques is this season). However, Hayden was still picked when Blewett fell by the wayside because he had a bank of runs (and credit points) built up as a result of some prolific prior seasons. Likewise, while he hasn't been on fire this season, Jaques has done enough in the past couple of years to be first choice.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
He found some form today, unbeaten on about 130 at the moment.

I think the pitch is a road, but I'm not sure. Still good to see him in the runs.