• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Read this

Alan B

Cricket Spectator
As an unrepentent fan of Chris Read - you would expect it, being a Notts supporter - I accept that he has his faults as a batsman, but suggest he must be adversely affected by criticism of this aspect of his game.

I say, contrary to Duncan Fletcher, he should be picked soley on his wicketkeeping, which stands comparison with anyone in world cricket.

Do this, lay off him, and his batting will blossom, given the chance over a period of time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The current balance of the English team certainly does not allow a player to be picked on wicket keeping alone. If he can't manage to average 30 odd with the bat, which I personally don't think he can, he should not be in the side unless the balance changes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
[top 5 as it is]
6. A batsman
7. Flintoff
8. Read/Jones
9. Harmison
10. Hoggard
11. Panesar

But they need someone from the top six who can send down a good 15 overs a test match.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
silentstriker said:
[top 5 as it is]
6. A batsman
7. Flintoff
8. Read/Jones
9. Harmison
10. Hoggard
11. Panesar

But they need someone from the top six who can send down a good 15 overs a test match.
Colly, Bell and Pietersen can do that between them

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
[top 5 as it is]
6. A batsman
7. Flintoff
8. Read/Jones
9. Harmison
10. Hoggard
11. Panesar

Paul Collingwood has 100 first class wickets. I certainly think he could do a job, especially on a helpful track. Problems arise when Simon Jones returns though - you'd end up with Flintoff at 6 again or you'd have to drop Harmison...

There would also be the option of picking Dalrymple to bat at #6 and be used as a second spinner.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Prince EWS said:
Paul Collingwood has 100 first class wickets. I certainly think he could do a job, especially on a helpful track. Problems arise when Simon Jones returns though - you'd end up with Flintoff at 6 again or you'd have to drop Harmison...

There would also be the option of picking Dalrymple to bat at #6 and be used as a second spinner.
If he returns, you mean. Is it a sure thing?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've no problem with a seamer getting dropped, it would possibly lead to better performances.

Hoggard was due to be dropped prior to Nagpur earlier in the year; Jones pulled up injured, and Hoggard took 6 in the 1st dig, got himelf a motorbike. Funny how things pan out really.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
silentstriker said:
[top 5 as it is]
6. A batsman
7. Flintoff
8. Read/Jones
9. Harmison
10. Hoggard
11. Panesar

Agreed

Flintoff is not a top 6 batsman and neither keeper is good enought to bat at 7

cameeel

International Captain
Prince EWS said:
The current balance of the English team certainly does not allow a player to be picked on wicket keeping alone. If he can't manage to average 30 odd with the bat, which I personally don't think he can, he should not be in the side unless the balance changes.
It doesn't, but surely the wicket keeper should be picked primarily on his skill behind the stumps. If the England line up can't carry a #7/#8 who averages 20, then the problem with the side is not the wicket keeper, but the batsmen above him.

Jones' place in the side shouldn't be justified or defended (and i'm not implying that you are defending him) on the merits of his batting, unless it's of a very poor standard - which isn't the case with Read. There shouldn't be a problem with the balance of the English side, and Strauss, Cook, Bell, Collingwood, Pietersen, Flintoff, Read, Mahmood, Harmison, Panesar, Hoggard is by no means a bad side. The problem with the England side is not the balance or the choice of wicket keeper, but the continued under-performance by allegedly test-class batsmen.

Why not play three specalist bowlers, and Flintoff if the balance of their batting line-up is such a problem?

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
First of all nice to have another notts supporter on the forum,

I think we can all agree that Read is the better Glovesman, but if we pick someone purely on their keeping skills, then I dont think that would be too wise. I know that if you relieve the pressure on him, his batting is mroe than likely to improve, but in this day and age, we need someone who can react well under pressure, with both bat and gloves. Readys 26* the otehr was encouraging, and I wouldve been interested in seeing him being able to bat for another hour. The truth is that if he doesnt do it often enough, and if another good all-round keeper came into the fray, I would want him in for a couple of games.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cameeel said:
It doesn't, but surely the wicket keeper should be picked primarily on his skill behind the stumps.
Surely anyone expected to bat #7 in the lineup should be able to average 30 with the bat though.

cameeel said:
Jones' place in the side shouldn't be justified or defended (and i'm not implying that you are defending him) on the merits of his batting, unless it's of a very poor standard - which isn't the case with Read. There shouldn't be a problem with the balance of the English side, and Strauss, Cook, Bell, Collingwood, Pietersen, Flintoff, Read, Mahmood, Harmison, Panesar, Hoggard is by no means a bad side. The problem with the England side is not the balance or the choice of wicket keeper, but the continued under-performance by allegedly test-class batsmen.
England have quite poor (in terms of batting) number 6 and number 8 batsmen. You'd expect your #6 to average in the 35-40 range and your #8 to average in the 17-20 range, but neither exists within the England team. So to have a keeper that averages 20 really just kills the whole batting lineup.

cameeel said:
Why not play three specalist bowlers, and Flintoff if the balance of their batting line-up is such a problem?
That is why I said "unless the balance is changed." If England move Flintoff to 7 and have their keeper at 8, Read is a perfectly acceptable choice. I still think Jones, if he can actually find some decent batting knick, is the better option though - I don't think his keeping is significantly worse than Read's and it has really improved. He himself can't buy a run either though so he's been deservedly dropped - his role in the side as a #7 averaging 30 odd who can keep hasn't been fulfilled.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
I remember a similar instance when Bob Taylor's inferior batting in comparison to Knott came up for scrutiny - but Taylor excelled with his limited batting and was always a doughty fighter for England in front of the stumps and excelled behind it when he got the chance to keep

I say go for Read - the extra runs Jones may score will be offset by keeping and the odd crucial miss - besides the more competent the keeper the more inspired will be the bowling (this Ashes series excluded :laugh: )

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Alan B said:
he should be picked soley on his wicketkeeping, which stands comparison with anyone in world cricket.
Jones' keeping this Ashes series was on a par with anything we've seen from Read since being recalled last summer. Read's an overrated gloveman (and a pap batsman to boot.)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
Where's the problem there? (assuming Jones is fit enough to be one of 4 bowlers)

Prince EWS said:
God no.