• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many Tests is the Right number for a series?

How many Tests is the right number to make a series

• Total voters

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm a big fan of the essential 6 test series such as that of Australia & South Africa just had with 3 test home & away. However, if such a spectacle is not possible, or the series is a gross mis-match (eg. Aust. v Zimbabwe) a regular 3 test series is ideal. I'm not really a fan of 4 test series'. But technically, they make for the ideal series as they're inbetween 3 & 5

5 tests should be spared for the bigger spectacle series (eg. Aust v Eng, Ind v Pak) where old rivals go head to head.

In terms of ODI series... a 5 test series should be follwed up by a 5 or 7 match ODI series, 4 tests with a 5 or 7 Match ODI series, and 3 Tests with a 3 or 5 match ODI series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Five test series...bring back three month tours :). Even if FTP has to be extended to eight or nine years instead of six. If all developed countries play five tests, home and way, it would be worth it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
4 or 5, tbh.
I think that's right.

The ICC seriously needs to do away with 2 test series and 3 Test series , IMO. May be the Test series among minnows can continue that or series with minnows by other nations.

As a Sri Lankan, I feel its time SL stopped playing these 2 and 3 test series and more 4 Test Series for starters.

5 Test series may be OK for the Ashes or Australia v India or Australia v SA or even India v Pakistan. But for every other occasion 4 test series would be about right. You have to also consider the Wear and tear on players playing a 5 test series within a short time span. It takes its toll on careers. 5 test series time after time can bring premature end to careers with injuries .

4 therefore has to be the right number .