• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Shane Warne make a comeback post retirement ?

will Shane Warne make a comeback from retirement ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am posting this poll , because my personal feeling and hunch is that Shane will make a comeback next year perhaps after John Buchanan moves out and perhaps Tom Moody is Australian coach.
(his misgivings with John Buchanan are well known )
Particularly if Australia lose a few Tests , there will be a rallying call for his return to Test Cricket ..... this is my personal hunch...

Anyway your opinions. (BTW when he does make comeback , we can recall this thread from the archive and see who was right and who was wrong).

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair...he said he was retiring from playing cricket for Australia, Victoria and St Kilda.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sadly, I think he's done for good. He's achieved everything he could dream of and more. He's leaving the game at the top. No reason to come back.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nope. He was asked if he would consider making a comeback when he announced his retirement, and he said no straight away.

Slow Love™

International Captain
JASON said:
I am posting this poll , because my personal feeling and hunch is that Shane will make a comeback next year perhaps after John Buchanan moves out and perhaps Tom Moody is Australian coach.
(his misgivings with John Buchanan are well known )
Particularly if Australia lose a few Tests , there will be a rallying call for his return to Test Cricket ..... this is my personal hunch...

Anyway your opinions. (BTW when he does make comeback , we can recall this thread from the archive and see who was right and who was wrong).
I don't think so, though I suspect you're onto something re: Buchanan. Didn't Steve Waugh have very little patience with him too? Of course, as captain, he was more capable of putting him back in his place (and I think he did, once or twice).

From what he said on the cricket show the other day, Warne's retirement at this point was quite postponed, as he was going to retire following victory in the last Ashes in England. But as they were lost, he vowed (to the rest of the team, so they knew this was coming) he'd stay until it was won back, and then he'd go. So I think he had it all pretty mapped out.

Craig

World Traveller
If he can resist the tempation in coming back to one-day cricket then it shouldn't be a problem for him to say no.

Stumped

Banned
dont think he will, he has spent alot of time away from his family during his career and hes probably looking to settle down and spend time with them

Matt79

Global Moderator
No. There's no Tests for Australia til October at the earliest, at which time he'll be 38 and out of top level cricket for 10 months. And he's going to come back for a sawn-off test series against Zimbabwe? Or Sri Lanka the month after? No offense to either team, but neither contest is exactly the Ashes in the terms of the esteem it is held by the Australian team or the public, and wouldn't seem particularly likely to interest him.

As for even further down the line, eg 2009 in England, Australia would have had to fall into an almighty hole for anyone to be realistically keen on him coming back after such a layoff, at 40. And even then, I doubt he'd be interested.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I said yes because I hope he does :D.

I hope that while he is playing for his English club side he is drawn towards the 2009 Ashes and gives it one last go. It would be an even more dramatic finish to his career.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
James90 said:
To be fair...he said he was retiring from playing cricket for Australia, Victoria and St Kilda.
My opinion is that he is going to attempt to qualify for England through residency, hence why he's only retiring from Aussie teams. :D