• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Benson another anti india umpire ?

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
For folks watching the current India South Africa series its again a sense of deja-vu seeing the "perplexing" decisions from Mark Benson.

On the first day at Durban , With SA toterring on 3-35 two plumb lbw against Gibbs and Prince are not given - before the score reaches 100 another plumb lbw on Prince is turned down - even the neutral expert Wasim Akram is moved to comment "its amazing how this cannot be out" while Pat Symcox looks on embarrassed but pleased.

Not to say two blatant edges caught behind are turned down - Ntini looks sheepishly at his bat and last wicket adds another 30 runs !!

fast forward to second day - a rising Nel delivery is edged by Dravid on to his pads - he is on tip toes and he is struck high on the pad - Pat Symcox feels "that's too high "- Akram feels "definitely will go over the stumps" - graphic shows the ball bouncing a clear one feet over leg stump - Mark Benson in a flash decides that's OUT !!

If there are mistakes evenly for both teams - one can overlook but the pattern of bias continues.

Amazing how so many umpires always target India as the team to be sawn off - Steve Bungler from WI and Shocker De Silva from Sri Lanka are known never to award a dubious decision to India but number of lbw claimed by shocker de Silva against India is amazing !!

Steve Bungler's decision to reprieve Jonty Rhodes by not asking for third umpire run out at a crucial stage in a test in South Africa and his infamous Tendulakr caught behind at the Eden Gardens where there hardly an appeal from the Pak team are examples of his racial prejudices !!

Welcome Mark Benson to this exclusive Club of neutral ICC umpires !!:laugh: :laugh:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I don't quite understand how its racial bias, but whatever. Not sure about Benson, but Ashoka De Silva is a terrible umpire against any team. You should've seen him in the first test between Pakistan and WI, shameful display of umpiring.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Conspiracy theories.

I will admit the umpiring was very poor in general, but to suggest he is anti-Indian on the basis on of a coincidence of three or four decisions is ridiculous and petty. Asad Rauf turned down a plumb lbw on Dhoni in the same match... perhaps I should start an "Asad Rauf another pro-India umpire?" thread....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yuck, poor thread.

Benson's not THAT bad, but Rauf is horrible, in general. Both umpires have made bad decisions against both teams actually.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
"Mark Benson, the on-field umpire for the ongoing India-South Africa Test at Durban, left the field 20 minutes into the third day's play after suffering heart palpitations.

He will be kept under observation in the Intensive Care Unit at St. Augustine's Hospital overnight, and his condition reassessed tomorrow. Benson, one of the "neutral" umpires for this Test, complained of palpitations and was ******ed off the field, with Ian Howell taking his place. " source cricinfo

...looks like an attack of conscience - may he recover after this series is over !!

No complains on Asad Rauf who is defintely neutral and does his best

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Oh goody, another Asian member with a persecution complex. In the current Ashes Test there were four plumb LBW's turned down in the Australian Innings, three against Hayden, yet in the England Innings there were appeals granted which were less obvious and one which would have missed by 4 inches.
It's not bias...........it just happens..............and we all except it as human error and move on.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Oh goody, my favourite type of thread. Another that makes me proud to be a cricket fan. :@

I really wish I could tell all these rabid, myopic and self absorbed cricket ignoramouses to "**** off" and leave cricket for the real fans and lovers of the game but I cant as that is against the swear filter and not nice.

So I will just answer the question posed in the thread title. "No".

The recent Ashes Test brought up by L&T is a good example. England were harshly treated but its part of the game. Maybe we should start burning effigies like some of the more emotional cricket fans from certain regions. And judging by the last Ashes series umpires must hate Martyn.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Yes - but like the paper it exists !!

like Rex Whitehead , Steve Bungler and Mark Benson all culpable of making mistakes only against one team - never mind if they are consistent in that the team is India

Rather like Doug Constant's consistency where Pakistan was concerned :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
B]Maybe we should start burning effigies like some of the more emotional cricket fans from certain regions.[/B]
You say it like 'certain regions' are undefined. :laugh:

I seriously hate being associated with this type of thread.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
silentstriker said:
Nah. A rant has to have some merit. This is ridiculous & way over the top.
Not talking about the OP, which is the fruit of a pathetic, immature mind with a persecution complex almost - but not quite - worthy of Bhupinder Singh. Talking about Goughy's quite magnificent response.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
Not talking about the OP, which is the fruit of a pathetic, immature mind with a persecution complex almost - but not quite - worthy of Bhupinder Singh. Talking about Goughy's quite magnificent response.
Ah. Yea, that might qualify. Wish it was a bit longer TBH to meet the Burgey Ashes standard.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
This isn't a poor thread at all, it's just the truth finally coming out.

I have very highly placed sources who have personally had contact with a guy who groomed some girl's dog whose grandfather once played a game of Dominoes on the same island that Steve Bucknor's 2nd cousin once read about in a comic that said that good ole Steve actually is the head of a secret cartel of evil umpires called We All Hate India And Must Ensure They Always Lose As We Are Evil And Hate India. (WAHIAMETALAWAEAHI [The island in question is obviously Pacific in nature]).

I personally wouldn't be surprised if they all gather once a year to play tapes of their nefarious schemes to foil India at every turn, while practicing their evil laughs.

Obviously Daryll Hair is the shadowy 'true' leader of the group, which is funded by (obviously) evil Pakistanis bent on getting revenge for India getting to host the final when the world cup goes there again and other generally evil people who are upset that Wasim Jaffer isn't sponsored by Jaffa Cake.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
nexxus said:
This isn't a poor thread at all, it's just the truth finally coming out.

I have very highly placed sources who have personally had contact with a guy who groomed some girl's dog whose grandfather once played a game of Dominoes on the same island that Steve Bucknor's 2nd cousin once read about in a comic that said that good ole Steve actually is the head of a secret cartel of evil umpires called We All Hate India And Must Ensure They Always Lose As We Are Evil And Hate India. (WAHIAMETALAWAEAHI [The island in question is obviously Pacific in nature]).

I personally wouldn't be surprised if they all gather once a year to play tapes of their nefarious schemes to foil India at every turn, while practicing their evil laughs.

Obviously Daryll Hair is the shadowy 'true' leader of the group, which is funded by (obviously) evil Pakistanis bent on getting revenge for India getting to host the final when the world cup goes there again and other generally evil people who are upset that Wasim Jaffer isn't sponsored by Jaffa Cake.

That could almost have been funny had you not felt the need to register a new name in order to post it.:sleep: