• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Matches

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
With CW well and truly suffering from battle-itis, I thought I'd throw another which I've never seen on here into the mix. Battle of the Test Matches. It's exactly as it sounds, we nominate our favourite Tests, then they battle against each other.

I'm happy to run it, but if I chose the matches myself, they'd all be England victories. So I'll just nominate two that someone else would nominate in no time anyway, and my own personal fave :)

England V Australia, Headingley 81
England V Australia, Edgbaston 05
India V England, Mumbai 06

Cheers. Nominations please. I'll probably have 48 in the first round, or 32 if there's not that much interest

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Some selections involving Australia from the recent past:

Australia vs England, Adelaide 2006
Australia vs Pakistan, Hobart 1999
Sri Lanka vs Australia, Kandy 2004
South Africa vs Australia, Port Elizabeth 1997
Australia vs West Indies, Adelaide 1992
Australia vs South Africa, Sydney 1994

And some older ones.

Australia vs West Indies, Brisbane 1960
Australia vs England, Melbourne 1937
India vs Australia, Madras 1986

They're the best ones I can think of offhand. Should have the other Ashes test where England won after following on in there too, but I can't remember what year it was.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Aust v WI (1999) The Test where BCL chased down the target. (Trinidad?)
Bridgetown I think. Good nomination anyway.

How about that Chennai test in 1999 between India and Pakistan? The test earlier this year where Bangaldesh nearly beat Australia deserves mention as well. Exciting the whole way through.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Some good selections here people. I'm adding them all in, then if we get too many we can decide which ones to take out.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Throw in India vs Pakistan at Chennai in 1999, and also Sri Lanka vs South Africa at Colombo this year.

Just had a look at the closest results in tests, and found an odd thing. If you combine all results which are tied or wins by 15 or less runs, only two of them don't involve Australia. There's a few one wicket wins that don't include Australia though.

I'd also suggest the South Africa vs England test where Atherton saved it against Donald. Someone else will probably know the year and ground. Old Trafford in the 2005 Ashes probably deserves mention too in terms of exciting draws.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd also suggest the South Africa vs England test where Atherton saved it against Donald. Someone else will probably know the year and ground. .
Jo'burg (1995)

A ten hour vigil from the great man!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
WI - India 2006 4th Test....Dravid at his best.
Was going to nominate that one and the Chennai 99 test, good to see both have been mentioned.

I'll have a think and return to this thread.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah good call TT Boy, the way that test tipped from one side of the scale to the other, and then just stayed on that side of the scale was amazing.