• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Matches

aussie tragic

International Captain
You have to include the Adelaide test of the current ashes....after all, it was the highest ever declared 1st innings score that then resulted in a loss :laugh:

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
You have to include the Adelaide test of the current ashes....after all, it was the highest ever declared 1st innings score that then resulted in a loss :laugh:
Its weird. India and Australia had big scores too in Adelaide and then the Aussies they went on to lose that game...

I can't believe the pitch detiorates that much...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
aussie tragic said:
It's in there don't worry. An unwanted record for England, and it came just two Tests after having the largest ever first innings deficit that was turned into a victory :unsure:

I'd also like to announce that I'm throwing in England V West Indies at Lord's in 2000

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
Its weird. India and Australia had big scores too in Adelaide and then the Aussies they went on to lose that game...

I can't believe the pitch detiorates that much...
Well, it doesn't, as seen by both chases which were comfortable (India were a little shaky, but never looked like losing it other than in the eyes of Indian fans who couldn't believe they would seriously win it).

Both Aus and Eng batted crap in their respective 2nd innings during their losses. By crap, I mean really really crap.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've saved what we have so far, I think there are 27 - post your nominees overnight, and maybe we'll get this started tomorrow if there are enough suggestions.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Osman Samiuddin on this test match- http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/PAK_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/PAK_WI_T3_25-29MAY2000.html

"The match had been a slow-burner all the way through and the quality wasn't outstanding on either side; Wasim and Waqar had looked as much spent reincarnations of their nineties selves as had the other great fast-bowling pair of the decade, Ambrose and Walsh. Brian Lara wasn't playing, Shoaib Akhtar was injured and the smell of match-fixing hung thick in the air. Greatness came in its conclusion. No one will ever know how Courtney Walsh managed to bat out 72 minutes and 24 balls to help Jimmy Adams, the captain, steal an incredible one-wicket win. Walsh had come out on the final afternoon with 19 still needed and got through with assistance from Billy Doctrove - one edge to the 'keeper was missed, as was a bat-pad - and Pakistani fielders, who botched it twice when both batsmen were stranded at the striker's end and they only had to catch a throw and pick off a bail. And there was greatness too in Adams' defiance - he took a blow on the chin that needed stitches on the field during his match-winning, boundary-free, unbeaten 48. Finally, in Akram's last real hurrah, there was true genius. Having gorged on his on-field exploits like you would a drug in the `90s, I suffered withdrawal as Akram became enmeshed first in domestic strife and then in global, darker scandals off the field in the latter half of the decade. Cynically, I had expected this tour to confirm to me that he was finished; he defied match-fixing, diabetes, age, poor form, team disputes and me, taking 11 wickets, upping his pace, rediscovering the swerve of his reverse swing and single-handedly dragging Pakistan to within a dodgy Doctrove decision of a first series win in the Caribbean."

Full article and other 'great tests'... http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/216165.html

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
India vs England Oval 1971

Remember it well, nothing out the ordinary for to start with except one of the England openers (not Boycott) running himself out in both innings. England had a smallish first innings lead and then proceeded to be bowled out cheaply by a series of long hops and half volleys from Chandra.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Remember it well, nothing out the ordinary for to start with except one of the England openers (not Boycott) running himself out in both innings. England had a smallish first innings lead and then proceeded to be bowled out cheaply by a series of long hops and half volleys from Chandra.
Wasn't alive to see it but it was a huge win for India historically, regardless of the excitement of the match.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know, but did anyone mention the last WI and India one. That was an amazing match. The way Dravid showed the rest how to bat on a pitch that is a nightmare for batters made it exceptional. It was low scoring and exciting too. For a moment near the end, many thought for a slight moment that WI might chase the total, but then Kumble came to the rescue.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
They've probably already been said, but the 2nd an 3rd tests with India v Australia on 2001/2002 were awesome.